Small holes in Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauder83

Reaction score
What's the best caulk to use to patch small holes in older aluminum Jon boat? Should I use jb weld? What about rubber sprays like flex seal? Thanks

Welcome Bauder !!
as you putter along here in Tin Boats, you will find it
most advantageous to provide photos of your issues
as well as as much information as possible to receive
the most accurate feedback to address your concerns.

#1. what size are the holes ?
#2. are they below or above the water line ?
#3. are they cracks or holes ?
#4. what caused the holes ? a drill or corrosion ?
#5. are the holes where rivets used to be ?
most opinions here would be to stay far far away from the spray seals.

stuff like that.

I would recommend you get a pack of low temp aluminum welding rods and use them. I'm assuming that you don't have access to a welder to do the repair, but I have had good luck with these. Depending on how thick the hull is, you may need to buy a cheap mapp & oxygen torch kit. Get a scrap piece of aluminum to practice on if your not familiar with brazing.

https://m.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a general question, a general answer:

JB Weld works fine for small holes. Clean the surface thoroughly, apply and let dry, put on second coat,let dry, smooth, mostly---works a charm.

Big holes need more support.

Best wishes.

I went with the jb weld and it seems like it should work pretty well. The holes are like the tip of a pen and fortunately I hooked up a pretty good bilge pump lol

Latest posts