ultimate light weight river boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniata

Reaction score
Pretty well finished my last v hull mod.

Now I'm on a lightweight small jon boat kick.

Something around 125-150ish lbs....foam between the ribs, rubber mat, no deck...LED running head lights mounted on the bow, battery and small trolling motor, probably transom mount with head flipped around mounted on bow, battery up front to distribute weight. Alumacraft, sierra 1236 and 1436LT weigh only 125lbs and 135 lbs. solo fishing on shallow rivers like the Juniata and susky, during good conditions., and mostly sitting.

Everybody wants to go bigger...I must be the odd one, I'm thinking smaller, handy, easy to launch anywhere.

Just can't decide on the boat to start with. Doubtful there would be much difference between the 1436 or 1236 considering almost identical weights. The 1236 has some appeal simply because its shorter, and might be easier to see the river out ahead while sitting and motoring up river, and I'm thinking you could almost reach the trolling motor from the center seat. I like the idea of everything being close and handy front to back. Plus wouldn't take much of a motor to make them run.

Not sure of any real world differences between a 12' and 14' of similar weight as far as motor needs.

I'm 170 lbs soak and wet, good balance so stability isn't my concern.

solo, Lightweight, plenty of lighting for night fishing and handy.

Give me some ideas....... 12' or 14'

If it helps any I'm going to be converting my over powered 1436 Jon, duck hunting boat into a light weight fishing boat. My brother bought a house on a lake that doesn't allow any motors, its going to be a row boat.

I have a 1436 just as you described. All I did was put in a carpeted floor and carpet the benches. It's a great lightweight boat for protected and skinny water. Heres my build thread with more pictures. https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33811 I am much happier with the boat after removing all the weight the previous owner left in there. Let me know if you want anymore pictures/have any questions. I would go 14ft vs 12 if I were you. You will appreciate the extra floor space and the boat will still be light (we have portaged my boat before). FWIW my boat is going to be for sale/trade soon, I want to get into a 16-20 ft mod v.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 533
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 533
My only concern would be going 12ft may leave you less wright capacity. If you're running that much lighting I'd wire two batteries. And if you wanted to bring a second person you've already handicapped yourself. But, a 1236 is what I hunt and fish with, and it suffices plenty with added decoys and hunting gear, alongside motors and batteries and fuel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Probably stick with a 14'.

Although, I was out on the juniata river fishing and this guy comes scooting up river in what looked to be a 1236 flatbottom. He had it trimmed up good,(sounded like a 2 stroke) weight obviously well distributed and planing out good. He was really scooting along looked like he was almost right on top of the water.. couldn't help but think...looks like fun.

Little while later two other guys come rumbling up the river, in a much bigger flat bottom. (rumbling seems like a better term) they were also cruising right along but it put you more in mind of a barge compared to the little jon. They were on plane also, but it rocked the river from shore to shore when they passed by. Didn't do much for me.

Latest posts