side mounted trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frbass

Reaction score
looking to mount a minn kota power drive on a lowe 1440 mv jon it will sit to one side will boat balance be a promblem

Balance is easy to counter but what is a real problem is how much it tips the boat when turning. I had a side mounted trolling motor on my canoe and was able to counter the balance by putting my battery on the other side of the boat, but when you throttle up the trolling motor and turn it the boat will tip more than you think.

jethro said:
Balance is easy to counter but what is a real problem is how much it tips the boat when turning. I had a side mounted trolling motor on my canoe and was able to counter the balance by putting my battery on the other side of the boat, but when you throttle up the trolling motor and turn it the boat will tip more than you think.
Agree with you in theory, but tipping from thrust in a canoe is significantly more pronounced than in a wider, flat bottomed jon boat. It seems to be an "initial stability" issue. My canoe can actually roll if the motor is run full throttle from a standstill with the tiller cranked all the way over (yes, unfortunately I speak from experience - that was the outcome of my maiden voyage in the canoe), and that is with a small motor mounted on a square transom.

Well, my canoe is more of a boat than anything- it's a flat back that I had a gas motor on the back and the trolling motor on the side. It actually has MORE capacity than my 14 foot deep-V Starcraft Superfisherman, by about 100lbs. But yes, it will be better on a flat bottom. And even less of an issue if you use the boat solo most of the time. It never bothered me solo, but when I had someone else in the boat they were constantly getting startled by the movement.

jethro said:
Well, my canoe is more of a boat than anything- it's a flat back that I had a gas motor on the back and the trolling motor on the side. It actually has MORE capacity than my 14 foot deep-V Starcraft Superfisherman, by about 100lbs. But yes, it will be better on a flat bottom. And even less of an issue if you use the boat solo most of the time. It never bothered me solo, but when I had someone else in the boat they were constantly getting startled by the movement.
Ah, I can see how a passenger would change the handling characteristics markedly (and make passenger behavior a critical handling issue in several respects). Only ever used mine solo, partly for that reason. I have a Michicraft T-16 motor canoe with a 3 HP Gamefisher 2-stroke. Never had a trolling motor on the side, but I did use that same motor side-mounted on a Grumman 13' double ender (again solo). That setup had issues (such as requring 15-degrees of tiller to go straight), but initial stability wasn't among them.

Latest posts