Anchoring jons in fast water?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
How do you river gurus like to anchor in fast water? I always worry about the bow getting pulled under...

Not a guru, but have anchored boats for many years. Best to use a long line.
See chart: https://www.bottrell.ca/BoatDocs/Anchoring-Length%20of%20Rode.pdf

Attaching line to any other point on the boat besides bow would make it unstable IMO.

What type of boat, and what do you consider fast water?
We anchor a lot in shallow whitewater rapids and never worried about the bow being pulled under, only problem is the anchor slipping occasionally. Even in that shallow water of 4-8', we let out plenty of anchor line as already stated.

The rule of thumb is to have out 3x the amount of line as the depth you are anchoring. But for swift water 4x or 5x would probably be best. Always attach it to the bow and always keep a sharp knife handy in case you have to cut it in an emergency.

The rule of thumb is to have out 3x the amount of line as the depth you are anchoring. But for swift water 4x or 5x would probably be best. Always attach it to the bow and always keep a sharp knife handy in case you have to cut it in an emergency.

Keep either a sharp knife or attach the anchor with zip ties or something that could break easy if the anchor gets caught. A person in WV already lost their life this year because the anchor got lodged in fast water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the hand crank Anchor Mate systems.

Fab up a way to mount it on the bow and you are good to go. I use a 8-12LB mushroom type anchor and like others have mentioned plenty of line let out. If she slips let out more line.

Never head out without a really sharp knife in case I have to cut one loose in a hurry.

Lots a debris coming down after a storm is not a good time to be sitting anchored. Get off the main channel and find a cove to fish.

Latest posts