Welded crack still leaking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckweed

Reaction score
I have a crack between the end of a rib and the transom on the bottom of my boat. I believe the crack was caused because the bunk was too short. I replaced the bunks. The bottom of the boat has steelflex but it cracked with the aluminum. I had to clean it off in order to get it welded, which was not an easy task. The boat was taking on a little over a gallon per hour in the water. I had it welded but it is still dripping a little, but no where near as much as it was. Should I take it back to the welder or just epoxy the weld?

My only reservation with taking it back is the guy don't weld aluminum very often and there is not a guarantee it won't leak again or worse on the second try.

Any ideas and what would you do?

Thanks

Call him, be polite and explain the situation. See what he says.

It's not a big deal, generally. Some stuff can be finished off with JB WELD, if you clean the surfaces very well.

Gonna be fine. Welder will probably ask to do it over.

Kismet said:

It's not a big deal, generally. Some stuff can be finished off with JB WELD, if you clean the surfaces very well.

Same thought here!

I would use 3M 5200.
Other choices would be Gluvit, G-flex or goop-it bit these are more expensive but you will be getting enough to seal all the rivets and seams.

Duck - can you post a photo of your issue ??

the welder may not fully understand the stresses
that is put on a Tin Boat. He may be Just a Welder
that builds stairs and hand rails, etc.

your crack may require a filler weld then a patch welded over that
for a more permanent fix. and, how big is it ???

This is the picture of the crack after it was welded. It not a great picture, but its all I have at the moment. It is leaking on the left side. Its not leaking bad, but I can't stand a leak if it can be fixed. Thanks for the responses. I am going to call and see if they think they can weld it to stop the leak or if I need to just reapply the steelflex on the outside and use something like gluvit on the inside. Which should take care of the problem.

Attachments

• crack.JPG
    crack.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 720
overboard said:
Kismet said:

Same thought here!

My thoughts exactly. I feel a professional should honor his work and back it up.

Have him grind the weld out & start over. Good advice above on adding 2nd thickness to reinforce the area. Maybe even a 3rd layer inside so you don't ever have to do it again!

If the welder balks at a freebie redo, offer him 1/2 price, will be worth it.

KMixson said:
overboard said:
Kismet said:

Same thought here!

My thoughts exactly. I feel a professional should honor his work and back it up.

That's a pretty bad looking weld...not one that a "professional" would do. The lesson is that if you want a professional job done, pay a professional and get it done right the first time.

That's a pretty bad looking weld...not one that a "professional" would do. The lesson is that if you want a professional job done, pay a professional and get it done right the first time.[/quote]

LOL, I thought the same, he did state the welder doesn't weld aluminum that much and It can probably be dressed up if so desired. A guy welded boiler plate on my furnace and the weld looked worse than that, after a little grinding it looked just fine and it hasn't leaked since.

overboard said:
That's a pretty bad looking weld...not one that a "professional" would do. The lesson is that if you want a professional job done, pay a professional and get it done right the first time.

LOL, I thought the same, he did state the welder doesn't weld aluminum that much and It can probably be dressed up if so desired. A guy welded boiler plate on my furnace and the weld looked worse than that, after a little grinding it looked just fine and it hasn't leaked since.[/quote]

Where I live, there is at least one welder who specializes in fabricating and/or welding Al (and, I believe, SS) for marine applications. Don't know how common that is elsewhere. Found this outfit (had to ask around) last year when i was making a rear support to fit my hitch to supplement my roof rack for carrying a canoe. I needed square AL tubing butt welded together at right angles in a "T" configration. I have a small inert gas welder that I have never used. I considered doing the job myself for about 10 seconds, then looked at my invoice for the tubing and shipping and thought about the prospect of waiting another 2 weeks for replacements if I fouled it up. I went with the pro. I must add that he isn't cheap ($170 per hour with a 1/2 hour minimum charge iirc) but the work was done correctly and well.

Latest posts