Take A Look At Raptorliner Deck Job, Not Really Pleased

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driz

Reaction score
Note, I used regular CDX ply for my build since I keep my boats inside barns. I did make sure it was a nice piece and then hit it with the belt sander so it was nice and smooth. When I shot it with Raptor it looked great. Fast forward a year and note the fine cracking which is evident. It actually looks worse than the picture indicates.
It's a boat not a Bently so I don't get all excited but still at some time I will be putting down vinyl I am pretty sure just to keep the water from getting into the wood. There must be something in Raptor that is quite wood unfriendly to do this so anybody considering this option may want to keep this in mind. It does work great on the console and alumimum structures though and is stone simple to put on like a pro. It's excellent for hiding repairs on cracked panels after they are repaired due to it's rough nature.

Attachments

• IMG_20150430_171824381.jpg
    IMG_20150430_171824381.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_20160502_160643027.jpg
    IMG_20160502_160643027.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,140
The Raptorliner is not a wood sealer it's just a top coating.
If you do it again use a good sealer. There is a home made sealer made of one part Boiled Linseed oil, one part Spar varnish or Spar urethane and two parts Mineral spirts.

Yeah I tried it on wood and it looked terrible. Now I am completely using aluminum in my boat and going to raptor line the whole interior. Going to have a paint shop tint the raptor liner, then have them mix the same color for paint on the outside of the boat that way everything matches but I have non skid in the boat.

I will give it two thumbs up for the aluminum surfaces and a monkey could spray this stuff on and get it right. FWIW you probably want to use their gun to shoot the stuff. I have a Schutz gun and it didn't work, go figure nothing much would come out even at 100 psi. Cleaned it well, nothin so I go to the Chinese tool store and get another, same thing even though they all are almost identical. I put theirs on and it works dandy and I still can't figure why.
They seem to tap dance around it but that crap is just loaded with Isocyanates in the hardener. Paint that in your garage and you are going to end up in the ER. I have a Hobbyair supplied air system because I paint the occasional car. Don't think that crap won't get through a charcoal paint masks filters either and you won't notice it happening to boot. If you just gotta do it without supplied air do it outside on a windy day and use a mask with new filters (meaning right out of their foil pouches) and stay out of the mist. Just keep everything away from anything living that breathes like your pets and next door neighbor. The thing to remember here is that its the fumes that are poisonous here not the spray like with paint. Also the fumes just keep radiating as the isos keep cooking off while it dries so leave it outside afterwards too. The good news is that unlike a paint gun that stuff shoots nicely from a distance so you can spray from 5' back and still get it on right.
If you decide to use the tintable raptor be advised the mixing is pretty simple too. I'm more used to mixing paints by measure but you can't with this stuff and it doesn't seem to matter much. Just make sure to get BINDERLESS paint mixed from a real automotive body supply place like NAPA. 1 pint was plenty for 1 kit and cost me $30. To do the whole inside of a boat you sure are going to need 2 raptor kits, I guarantee that, the stuff doesn't really go far.

Latest posts