selling price

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkins26

Reaction score
I am selling a 14 ft deep v and this is my first boat how is the best way to determine the price. When you look up the price on a blue book is that the boat and the trailer or just the boat price. Can you pleas help me determine this.
Thank you

NADA or KBB prices on small tin boats are wildly inaccurate. For instance my 1995 Starcraft side console 14' boat, trailer and 25hp motor is said to be a value of $1040. I see the motor sell for more than that alone. As said the best idea is to look at Craigslist and try to value off that. Your area and the condition plays a huge part.

Last boat that I sold..... I went on Craig's list; boat trader online; and a couple of local fishing/boating sites classified sections. I put up a spreadsheet and filled in all of the data of similar boats.

Brand; year; price; motor mfgr; hp; fishfinders etc.; trailer; length; width etc. etc.

When I got done, I sorted by size and then equipment and compared asking prices. I feel I had a pretty good handle on what others were asking. Sold the boat in a few days on Craig's list in Houston.

richg99

Post up a few pics and we will see what we think its worth.. Just an idea for a starting place

Wilkens - good question about "boat and the trailer or just the boat price"

It has finally dawned on me (after 50 years) that when you go to the DMV to
register your new boat - - - they ask you, "how much did you pay for it" ??

I'm probably correct that 90% or more of us say, (ie) $1500.00 . . .
and you pay the tax every year on that $1500.00 purchase.

When actually, you paid that $1500.00 for the boat, motor, trailer, and all the steering gear
boating gear, anchors, ropes, winch, trolling motor, fish finders, yada yada yada which are
all considered "expendable" items...... they break, you get another one.
the BOAT HULL itself is what you are registering and paying the tax on - not the incidentals.
So, even tho you paid one lump sum for the package, it is a good idea to break it down for
tax purposes.... then, you have to get a tag for the trailer, same scenario, try to break it down
information wise for the taxes . . . . same with the motor, if your state requires that the motor
be registered also...... (don't include gas tanks, batteries, etc.).
just something to think about and not pay taxes on something that is not necessarily taxable.

for example: $3,000 for boat, motor, trailer package.
take your time, get a pencil and paper, and try to itemize
what each major item costs..... and what the DMV is going to register for you.
boat hull (without decking and carpets).
25hp motor
trolling motor
fish finders
rod holders
anchor
bimini top
boat cover
batteries
gas tanks
bilge/water pumps
etcetera etcetera etcetera

This information is just for when you buy your NEXT boat - of what to consider.

jus my Dos Centavos

Since Texas requires one to register all three...... boat, motor, and trailer.... separately, I always print out and get the seller to sign three bills of sale. One for each item, wth its value specified on that bill of sale.

I never thought about breaking out "included equipment"!! 99% of my purchases have been small boats, and other than a trolling motor or two, I don't think the "included equipment" amounted to much. But, good point! richg99

In Michigan you are only required to pay sales tax once, when you first register it

not every year.

and we pay sales tax on whatever is included in the purchase. We tell them what the purchase price is and the sales tax is applied to it

the registration fee has nothing to do with the purchase price.

Latest posts