Alumahawk paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

team101

Reaction score
Anyone using it. I bought some, applied it according to the directions, but it is getting tacky when in the sun. It has been drying a week and is fine in the shade, but when hot I can scrape it off like putty. Fortunately, I only applied it to one small area. Anyone had any problems with this stuff?

Two conversations with the CS staff at the company...just received a call back after posting. Evidently, this stuff can take a couple of weeks to cure. The rep has been very customer oriented and went as far as calling a company chemist. I'll update the post in another week and see if the paint cures.

Well, the paint never properly cured. It is hard when cool to the touch, but becomes extremely tacky when it gets hot. If I touch it when hot, my fingerprints remain in it, it sticks to anything sitting on it, and scrapes easily. This was applied according to the company directions onto new, properly prepped, aluminum. I have requested a refund and offered to return the unused 7/8 full can of paint. At this point the CS rep has not called me back as promised, so I'm not sure they are as customer oriented as I thought. Bottom line, I'd stay away from this paint. I'm stripping it off and going with another product.

- wow -

nothing should take two weeks to "cure" !!!!
what type of paint are you using ???

I looked it up on Google and this is how they advertise their product:

Aluminum Boat Paint:
Aluma Hawk is a quick-dry, high-solids, corrosion-inhibiting coating designed
for use on aluminum with no need of additional primers.
Aluma Hawk is chromate-free and may be used above or below the waterline.
Aluma Hawk’s unique dual purpose phenolic resin, allows it to be used as a primer
directly on metal with or without a topcoat.

Rust-inhibiting and lift-resistant primer for lacquer/enamel based topcoats
Excellent adhesion on aluminum
Use as a primer and or topcoat on raw aluminum, fiberglass and other substrates
One-Step application ideal for pontoon boats and jon boats
Safe for fresh or saltwater submersion

It appears to be a really good product - so - something went wrong somewhere.
even with poor surface preparation, it should adhere well and "dry" or "cure" within 24 hours.

Interesting out come.
I hope you get your refund. Did you pay by CC?

Just to clarify, Johnny, I gave it ~ 2 months to cure. I stripped it with chemical stripper and was able to get everything off quite easily. I'm not sure what happened, but I was very meticulous in the application. It was their jon boat paint. I paid by CC. It was $80 a gallon, so I hope they stand behind their product and refund my money. I ordered and received another product today. We'll see how that goes.

Latest posts