New (to me) boat and it has lipped seats. Casting deck ques.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Heath

Reaction score
just bought another boat. Going to put a casting deck on the front and carpeted floor between the 2 seats and a deck on the rear. My question is has anyone seen a boat with lipped seats? This is the only manufacturer that I have seen with them. It shouldnt create a problem but Id like to know if anyone has a boat like this and if so, how they overcame the frame of the casting deck. Pics below.

[URL=https://s51.photobucket.com/us...-40a6-9daf-84bb7e154eb7_zpsvenkr2tw.jpg[/img] [/url]

[URL=https://s51.photobucket.com/us...-4516-b03b-085f66fb1b03_zpspag5pxwe.jpg[/img] [/url]

My 2015 Alumacraft, and all others that I considered, have bench seats shaped just like that.
You have to support the deck by building up from the floor.

If I understand what you are trying to do, it should be no problem to span the distance between the two front seats to make a casting deck. You should be able to rivet or screw an aluminum angle to the face of each seat on top of which you can mount stringers to support a plywood deck. Without knowing the distance between the seats I can't suggest the size of the stringers but surely a 2x4 or smaller would do. If you wanted to spend the extra and use aluminum square (or rectangular) tube you can keep the weight down. You just need to figure out the relationship between the seat tops and work out your math from the top down. Then you can carpet over the whole deck. If you want to put plywood over the seats as well you can just adjust the math upwards. With the right stringers you should be able to span the distance between the front and middle seats without support, leaving the cavity below open and with a hatch cover or two can make that space accessible.

wow thanks so much for doing that. I have meant to log in and say that. I have been keeping detailed pics of my build and will post in the build thread in due time. Thanks again!

Latest posts