jon boating with kids

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyf19

Reaction score
hello - looking for some advice on starting a jon boat build. a little background. i have a one year old who will be my little fishing partner some day so i am looking for something that going to be large and stable enough to have a kid or two in plus the wife. i fish a lot of the susquehanna river, so a lot of shallow rocky areas . think go going the outboard jet route and would ideally like something with a center or side console. any recommendations for a decent, all weld boat that might do well for 2 adults and 2 kids?

are mod V's better for stability over a true flat bottom ? what HP motor would you recommend.

thanks in advance for any advice.

I would suggest a tracker grizzly 1648 and above. Would not go with a flat bottom with two kids and the wife or it may turn in to a swim day at the lake.

This is the boat that I and my two younger brothers
grew up with back in the '60s - I guess it was safe - It often held two
adults, 3 young boys and camping gear with a big cooler
for weekend adventures. It is not classified as a "Jon" boat
but rather a "runabout" for family fun - not for fishing.
1959 Crestliner.JPG
boat before paint.JPG

Matty? I don't know about your skill level, but look up a thread by "Prowelder" who put together one of the cleanest and most kid-safe boats I've seen here. The posts were in the last month or so.

Best wishes. Be safe. Bigger is better.

Latest posts