Looking for some advice on a 16ft aluminum semi v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonsr3243

Reaction score
As stated in the title i just bought this 16 foot semi v for $330 and was planning on decking it but i thought it'd be best to ask the advice of some people who have done this sort of thing. I measured it at 16 feet from front to back and 44 at the bottom of the middle seat and about 2 feet deep at the front (Not sure if this is how to properly measure so i attached a few pics of that). So i have a few questions i was hoping someone might be able to help with:

Would this boat be safe to put a front casting deck on?
Would a yamaha bf20 20 horse be a proper outboard size?
Would putting a flat floor between each seat add too much weight?
Can i use an angle grinder with a steel brush on the aluminum or is it too abrasive?

I was also wondering if anyone might be able to help with the make and model of the boat, i cant find any markings anywhere on it. I've already taken out the seats and the wood from the transom and i can't find anything. The trailer is a 1958 Dexter that i redid but the boat is unknown at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 755
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Tin !!

In my world, I would deck it over the seats
and nothing higher...... It's hard for me to hold
onto my walker, balance with my cane and cast
at the same time - - -

and remove those side braces when you deck it out,
as everything will be tight and they won't be needed.

Good deal! Nice boat check out my build its only 14ft, but similar style boat.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

As for the wire brush on the angle grinder. Yes you can I have but you need to use a stainless steel wire wheel.

johnsonsr3243 said:
Would this boat be safe to put a front casting deck on? I know it's long and you'd just rather be told but this thread is a really good decking thread - https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9074

Would a yamaha bf20 20 horse be a proper outboard size? I'm not going to pretend I know everything about boats. However I do know there is a limit to the size of OB you can put on certain boats. The title might say. Typically there's a plate riveted on it with the size OB and the number of passengers that are allowed. But you said there is no such thing on it.

Would putting a flat floor between each seat add too much weight? One thing I have learned is that you don't have to use 3/4" plywood to deck. You can get away with 1/2" with the proper framing underneath. Which would save you some weight.

Can i use an angle grinder with a steel brush on the aluminum or is it too abrasive? I used a wire wheel on my drill for my transom and then followed that with a pad sander and 80 grit paper. The wire leaves some pretty good gouges that would show under paint.

See comments in red.

thanks for the replies guys, i think i'll be decking it with a front casting deck. i had to remove the transom unfortunately because of rot. would 2 sheets of 3/4 ply laminated together work for a transom?

If the original transom was 1.5 inches thick 2 pieces of 3/4" exterior grade plywood is what you want.
Just remember never use Pressure Treated wood on an aluminum boat.

What do you want to do with the angle grinder? On the sides of the boat nothing more than a box of SOS pads and water is needed. Try it! High effort for the first few strokes then all of a sudden it is easy as it removes the oxidation. The boat will be quite bright when you are done and it takes very little effort.

Latest posts