LED bow lights.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunz

Reaction score
my lowe came with a stanchion setup for a bow light I took it off to install a trolling motor. In trying to find new lights I found the led strips thru Academy and installed them. they seem fine. But I read a review where someone posted the local wardens were writing tickets for these since they were not USCG approved. Seems pretty far fetched. Any truth to this in your opinion?

The package says its a LED BOW LIGHT, I bought it thru academy. Just wondering. I am not taking them off and if I do get a ticket. I will be talking to Academy. But serious doubt anything would ever come of it.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_1010519_-1?cm_mmc=pla-_-Boating+Marine+Boat+Lights+Utility+Lights-_-Google-_-No+Limits+LED+Flex+Lighting+Kit&sku=025171331&gclid=CjwKEAjw4dm6BRCQhtzl6Z6N4i0SJADFPu1nQS9qE9Ire_2vYjolBr1WTDqe1MQzKmwqOxlMeliTTRoCo6Lw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid%5E69707526558-device%5Ec-plaid%5E150909973278-sku%5E025171331-adType%5EPLA

when in doubt - go straight to the source that governs
your waterways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't rely on a package for certification - as the lights
are sold WORLD WIDE and the laws for different states
may differ or vary from state to state.

On "INTERNATIONAL" waterways and ocean voyaging,
there is only ONE law - the International Rules of Navigation. Period.

If you do some research, you will find that when a light is
"USCG Approved" - than means only that it can be seen
from one mile away - that's it.
Navigation Lights.jpg
The mounting configuration is not open for discussion.
There is only ONE configuration to meet all safety specifications.

" I am not taking them off and if I do get a ticket. I will be talking to Academy. But serious doubt anything would ever come of it. "

If you read the item description very carefully,
you will see that Academy does not mention anywhere
that those lights are intended to be " navigation " lights.

Also in the FAQ section, several questions were answered
with the same generic answer . . .
The No Limits LED Flex Lighting Kit is not waterproof.
It is also not US Coast Guard approved.

your boat = your call

Agreed, those are not nav lights. They are simple LED strip lights and while you possibly can install them to be compliant, I personally wouldn't. There are a lot of posts about LED lights being used for bow lights and people rigging various lights to be used as nav lights. In my opinion, if you own a nice boat, why would you mickey mouse a safety item like this? Would you build your own fire extinguisher out of a wax coated wooden box and a bicycle pump or something just to save a few bucks? Personally I would buy a nice, purpose built, USCG approved nav light and be done with it, but that is just me. It's not like the boat is disposable and you'll just replace it in a few years. Also, a pet peeve of mine that I have noted in other posts is people using lights that are TOO bright for bow lights, and 6" LED strip lights can be really bright. Please be respectful of other boat captains night vision.

and not only to be USCG compliant it just a simple safety issue

look closely at Johnnys diagram

this is done for a purpose.

If you are an approaching vessel at night, the lights mean something so they need to be displayed properly. If you see a green light, the boat is traveling from port to starboard in front of you, if you see red the opposite is true. Of course the boat may not be moving and just sitting there but you will know what direction it is facing in the total dark

of course there are boat operators who have no idea what the colors mean and why they are displayed this way.
all navigation aids, be it a light or bouy are colored a certain way for a specific purpose.

I have also seen people on this website wrap their boats with led lights on the gunnels a lot of these are technically illegal or at least unsafe even though they look cool

As per the information I got from the USCG website they are visible from the required areas so I see no reason I cant run them. My goal was to conserve power not make the boat bling. trying to run one battery for starting and trolling since my motor is electric and pull start.

I fully understand the reason for nav lights. I spent some of my military career on the waterways, but most in aviation.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

gunz said:
As per the information I got from the USCG website they are visible from the required areas so I see no reason I cant run them. My goal was to conserve power not make the boat bling. trying to run one battery for starting and trolling since my motor is electric and pull start.

I fully understand the reason for nav lights. I spent some of my military career on the waterways, but most in aviation.

as long as you are aware of the rules then go for it

perchjerker said:
gunz said:

as long as you are aware of the rules then go for it

Agreed with this. You can make your own lights USCG compliant, just have to make sure you understand the rules. Which it sounds like you do, so I see no issues here.

I have LED nav lights as well. But was careful when mounting them to make sure they complied with USCG regulations. I temporarily mounted mine a few times and checked them in the dark to make sure they were visible from the required angles, did not interfere with each other and yet still not visible from behind my boat. Worked out fine.

I used these lights. https://www.oznium.com/super-bright-12v-led-module They are MUCH brighter than standard incandescents that come with most mass produced nav lights. Which makes me feel even safer when out on the water. Plus, like the OP, I like that they draw very little power.

Here is how mine is mounted. You can see that they are separate from each other when viewed from the front and you are still able to see each light independently from the port/starboard side but yet not visible from behind the boat. I mounted them with 5200. The painters tape on them in the picture is serving as a temporary clamp while the 5200 cures.
IMAG0969_zpsaa8e56a1.jpg

Yes I checked mine several times, Even used a compass cut on a piece of paper to make my degrees. Cant see any reason I am not within the regulation. Again I am not going for bling. just needed the space for other things.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I think I got it all squared away and am correct and safe.

happy Boating.