tons of questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello i am new to this whole thing and i am thinking of using aluminum angle and a plywood deck with carpet on it. so my questions are what size aluminum angle should i use? also what plywood and water seal should i use. Also is the home depot outdoor carpet okay and if not whats some good cheap stuff

Welcome to the forums. You will find as you keep reading posts that decking is one of the most discussed topics that is brought up. This being true then you will find a wealth of information that answers most of your questions. I recommend that you do a lot of homework, also use resources such as YouTube, and then when you have specific questions that haven't been thoroughly discussed already post pictures and information about your boat along with your question.

Please don't take this as a refusal to provide you with help but rather a tip that will help us better help you. You contribute to the discussion by taking pictures of your modifications and posting them as your project progresses. I promise you that by doing this you will have lots of folks watching and willing to provide advice.

Harrison - there are no set rules or standards for bracing of a boat deck . . . .
it boils down to your boat, size of people in it, how much square footage
you want to cover. High or low deck, with or without lockers or wells.
Type of boat, thickness of hull, your metal and woodworking skills, yada yada yada.
PHOTOS accompanying your questions or issues at hand will
help the gallery respond with more accurate feedback.
Do some drawings, do the math, make a plan.

and welcome aboard !!

I've never done an aluminum bracing but as I recall others have used 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" aluminum angle 1/8" thick. A great sealer for plywood is a home made mix of one part Boiled Linseed Oil, one part Spar Varnish or Spar Urethane and two parts Mineral Spirts.

Why build a aluminum deck, instead of using plywood? Aluminum isn't very hard to work with, and will outlast wood over the years, thus preventing you from having to redo the deck again, even if its properly sealed. I never worked with aluminum before until I built my boat. Its pretty easy to work with. Go through a aluminum dealer to find good prices. The BIG BOX stores charge a lot for it.

Alum at big box stores is outrageous price.

If you have a metal recycler nearby, check with therm for any usable pcs. I hear old road signs are good material to use.

Welcome Harrison... I too am relatively new to all this. But you pick stuff up quick around here. I have gone with plywood decking on my restoration. I used the Old Timers mix of 1qt Linseed Oil, 2qt mineral spirits and 1qt spar urethane. I rolled it on with a small roller and just kept applying it till it quit soaking it up an started to puddle. Then I let it dry for 3 days and then hit with 2 coats of spar urethane and let that dry well. I've very happy with the final product. The correct plywood to use is ACX or BCX plywood. The X stands for exterior grad and is glued with waterproof glue. And like everyone else has said "post some pix of your project!!!"

okay so i should go through a metal working shop if i want good priced alimunum and would the extoir grade carpet at home depot work

AnglerC said:
Welcome Harrison... I too am relatively new to all this. But you pick stuff up quick around here. I have gone with plywood decking on my restoration. I used the Old Timers mix of 1qt Linseed Oil, 2qt mineral spirits and 1qt spar urethane. I rolled it on with a small roller and just kept applying it till it quit soaking it up an started to puddle. Then I let it dry for 3 days and then hit with 2 coats of spar urethane and let that dry well. I've very happy with the final product. The correct plywood to use is ACX or BCX plywood. The X stands for exterior grad and is glued with waterproof glue. And like everyone else has said "post some pix of your project!!!"
The correct formula for the old timers is One Part Boiled Linseed oil, one Part Spar Urethane or Spar Varnish and two Parts Mineral Spirts.
You can mix up any amount you need for a small job one part could be an ounce, for a big job one part could be a quart.

Latest posts