Rustoleum Deep Forest Green Paint is Streaky after drying.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Heath

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I paid my way through college by doing bodywork lol. I have some skills but good lord. I have a 14/42 Alumacraft and it was not bad to start but I did sand it all with 120 and knocked it all the way down to the metal where the alumacraft letters were on the back as well as where the old registration numbers were as they were awful looking. I dont have any pics ready to upload but after sanding and tacking it down, I primed it with rustoleum self etching primer (green) and it really looked good. All the hard work on the scratches paid off with 4 days of sanding. Well, on to the paint. I waited until dusk to spray for wind reasons and its still streaky looking. One line dark, another light. Almost as it primer didnt get covered. I let it dry for about 36 hours outside and tho some better, I can still see some streaks. Should I do another coat or let it dry longer? I sprayed 10" away but sometimes I would get closer as the wind picked up. Honesty, if I stayed 10 inches away it would take 30 cans to finish as you dont get hardly any coverage until about 6 inches away. Any thoughts? Wait? One more coat?

Thanks!

After the SE primer you should have used clean metal primer then the top coat. You will need a second coat but try the roll and tip method instead of spray cans.

I bet the dampness and dew after dusk had something to do with the streaks you got. The paint probably did not set up as quick as it would during a dry sunny day. I had a similar issue painting my boat with an HVLP sprayer at dusk. It did not streak, but the moisture and dew that developed after dusk made my paint job turn out much lighter than it should have been. Another 2 coats during a sunny day took care of it though.

going on vaca tomorrow gonna let it sit all week. if its streaky its getting a re do. probably a roller lol

use a roller or brush of the same type paint
and you will be golden..... (don't mix oil and latex).
just scuff up a bit with a green kitchen scrubby pad
or the gray ones you get at the auto parts store
made specifically for scuffing up a surface prior to paint.

good luck - enjoy your vacation !!

Been rattle can painting a looong time, from what I gather you had all 3 issues with aerosol, wind , night (humidity) and distance. It needs to be as still as possible, low relative humidity, Sun (heat ) and not direct sunlight, and hopefully 3 coats first a very light grabber coat a lil heavier cover coat, and when that's tacky a good wet coat just shy of running. All your light spots are over spray (dry before it hits) being a body man I know you know base, clear but rattle can is different

Latest posts