Pressure treated question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beagler1

Reaction score
So why does everyone use non treated lumber THEN go back and seal it? Dont that cost more money, take more time and not last as long as pressure treated already sealed outdoor lumber?

Why not use treated outdoor lumber? Am i missing something?

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Do not use pressure treated lumber on an aluminum boat or for trailer bunks. The chemicals in the lumber will react with the aluminum causing corrosion and holes in the boat. I made a small v bunk for the bow of my boat and inadvertently used 2 pieces of pressure treated 2"x6". With in one year the corresponding area of the hull had holes ranging from the size of a pin head up to 1/8".

And isolating the treated wood from the aluminum won't help. When the PT wood gets wet the copper will leach out and get on the aluminum.

It is the copper in the PT lumber. They now have copper free PT but you will have to check specs before you buy. Should copper wires in aluminum boats be sealed?

Al U Minium said:
It is the copper in the PT lumber. They now have copper free PT but you will have to check specs before you buy. Should copper wires in aluminum boats be sealed?
The insulation on the copper wire will isolate from the aluminum. There have been cases of a copper penny sitting on aluminum causing damage.

Wow never knew that ! Thx. Guess you learn something new every day!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

I redid my bunks with PT, and screwed PVC trim over it. That was two years ago, and still no problems. My boat is overturned on the trailer now, waiting for paint. No damage to the bottom that I can see.

to seal the plywood on mine I used fiberglass resin for repairing car panels. I painted it on and let it dry for a day or two and it really sealed up the plywood well.

Use exterior grade plywood ACX, BCX, CDX. You can mix up your own sealer from one part Boiled Linseed oil, one part Spar urethane or Spar varnish and two parts Mineral spirts.

greenheron said:
So, what sealant do y'all recommend?

I found a great recipe on another forum.
It's an old-school, tried & true method that has worked really well, for a lot of people.

1 part boiled linseed oil
2 parts mineral spirits
1 part quality spar urethane, (like Helmsman)

Mix it up, really well.
Brush it on, until your wood stops absorbing it.
Brush on more...Until you're sure it's not going to soak up anything further.
Let it cure for 72 hours (preferably, in a good, warm sun).
After it's cured, finish it off with a generous coat of spar urethane.

Be careful with rags & dispose of them properly.
They may spontaneously combust.
The components of this recipe are highly flammable/combustible.

I just used this method on my transom board & I bet it'll last for longer than my boat's useful life.

I never knew it would cause a chemical reaction and harm your tin boat.
never would of thought of that. I am in the process of building a deck on my 14 footer
so im glad I saw this. Now, I did have a 12 foot years back that I put
a deck and compartments on. I doused that thing with I think it was Thompson
water sealant. Not all parts of the wood touched the aluminum tho. I wrapped some
Parts in carpet. All of the decks and compartments were removable
for easy clean ups. Came out nice. Ill be doing the same on this one.

Al U Minium said:
It is the copper in the PT lumber. They now have copper free PT but you will have to check specs before you buy. Should copper wires in aluminum boats be sealed?[/quote

Copper-free? Or perhaps you mean arsenic-free? It's true that borates are used in some applications but I've never seen this in the usual retail outlets.

larski said:
Al U Minium said:
It is the copper in the PT lumber. They now have copper free PT but you will have to check specs before you buy. Should copper wires in aluminum boats be sealed?[/quote

Copper-free? Or perhaps you mean arsenic-free? It's true that borates are used in some applications but I've never seen this in the usual retail outlets.
There are now several types of pressure treated wood. The old arsenic based, the newer arsenic-free copper based and Arsenic and Copper-free.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
larski said:
Al U Minium said:

There are now several types of pressure treated wood. The old arsenic based, the newer arsenic-free copper based and Arsenic and Copper-free.

You are taking the conversation backwards. The copper-free is BORATE-based. Look it up. Borates are not to be used in unprotected exterior locations. Further borate-based PT wood is not widely available. Let's move forward, not backwards. Got anything to add about borate-based PT woods? If not, don't bother to post again on this topic. Save us from inane comments, please.

Considering the OP's question was answered 2 weeks ago I don't know why you even posted a comment.

Latest posts