So What's This Rig To

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driz

Reaction score
IMG_1169.JPGThis I assume is the plug to charge the trolling battery? Both lugs rotted off so it needs replaced. It goes in the hole in the fore deck in the back ground. I assume those two large red / blk wires mate to the big new ones from the new Minn Kota I mounted up front right? Just checking before I look to order one up and put all the wires back in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20160606_150445092_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160606_150445092_HDR.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 755
I should have clarified, there was no motor anymore when I got it. The two prongs inside are male and rotted off. Those two larger red / blacks do go all the way to the back and the batteries. That's why I figured it was some sort of charger. Remember that now precious copper was considered dirt cheap back in 85 so it might have made sense to stick the charging plug up there back then. I always wondered how you were supposed to charge the battery. I'm sure the prior owner just hooked a battery charger to the terminals as this old plug has been shot for a long time.

wmk0002 said:
Trolling motor plug appears to be for a Motorguide fwiw.

thats just a commonly available generic outlet

https://www.amazon.com/TROLLING-MOTOR-PLUG-Receptacle-12V/dp/B000XBEW00/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1465848426&sr=8-12&keywords=trolling+motor+plug

driz said:
I should have clarified, there was no motor anymore when I got it. The two prongs inside are male and rotted off. Those two larger red / blacks do go all the way to the back and the batteries. That's why I figured it was some sort of charger. Remember that now precious copper was considered dirt cheap back in 85 so it might have made sense to stick the charging plug up there back then. I always wondered how you were supposed to charge the battery. I'm sure the prior owner just hooked a battery charger to the terminals as this old plug has been shot for a long time.

Typically chargers are either connected directly to the battery terminals or via a dedicated on board charger. The point of the plug in question is so people can use a quick release mount for their trolling motor and remove it when it's not needed.

jethro said:
driz said:

Typically chargers are either connected directly to the battery terminals or via a dedicated on board charger. The point of the plug in question is so people can use a quick release mount for their trolling motor and remove it when it's not needed.

ding ding ding

we have a winner

It was my understanding that it is best to unplug the trolling motor (especially these fancy digital ones) before putting power to the on-board chargers. I've got mine rigged with a quick disconnect from minn kota instead of being hard wired in.

Wyatt said:
It was my understanding that it is best to unplug the trolling motor (especially these fancy digital ones) before putting power to the on-board chargers. I've got mine rigged with a quick disconnect from minn kota instead of being hard wired in.

thats what the socket is for on his panel

to plug in and plug the trolling motor from the boat.

the charger should be hard wired to the batteries.

Latest posts