tarps or cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipster dufus

Reaction score
i need some advice opinions on using a tarp to cover my tinnie. hows everyone do it? what do u use for standoffs? what kind of tarp? thanks

I have an old 10x20 greenhouse frame that I bought a matching gray tarp from Wallyworld for about $25. Works great and room to work on the boat in the shade with a fan. LOL

I use a 10' x 20' UV resistant tarp from eBay to cover my 1648MV. The frame is made of 2 small saw horses and a 2x4 spanned between them. Tarp is tied down to the trailer with bungee straps. Works great. Keeps the weather and sun out. I keep my camo seats in the boat year round and zero fading on them, or anything else that is covered, from the sun. That size tarp runs about $30.

Johnny said:
There are several versions of this PVC frame - - -
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17661&start=25
I did a similar thing before I saw this link.
I used 3/4" PVC and used Tees on each end to make, a, um, tee by extending 12 inches forward and back. Makes a big wide "H", and I bend these and wedge them under the rim of the boat on both sides. I use 3 of them, front, middle, back. The "tee" makes them stable enough that they don't tip over.

I'm a barn, shed guy myself. The ripping wind here is relentless. Even those tent barns are far better than any tarp if you get a good one and keep it out of the direct wind.
If you gotta go tarp just remember to let the thing breathe so moisture doesnt build up and get trapped . Also cover those trailer wheels. The UV will trash modern tires in just a couple years these days as tires just plain suck anymore. As for those Harbor Freight tarps, the Gray ones are about the best bang for the buck overall. The green farm duty last longer but are pretty pricey. Expect to get 3 continuous years out of the HF Silver ones before they get stiff and begin to tear.
In the end though no tarp is anywhere near as good as the crappiest shed. Oh and if you use anything that has a center pole with the stick poking through the grommet in the center know this!!!!!! If you don't put some sort of rain hood over that tiny spike filled hole up there the water will leak down and rot a hole in your wooden floor. Been there done that with my Bayliner [-X and the prior owner kept the thing spotless. Just a teenie weenie bit of trickling water all summer long......................for a few years ; and he stored it in a dry barn all winter to boot.

driz said:
Even those tent barns are far better than any tarp if you get a good one and keep it out of the direct wind.
I set-up one of those 'car port' type frame/tarp covers in my driveway so I could work on my skiff. To aid in wind resistance and late season (March on-wards) snow load, I used thin/strong line to make 'X' criss-crosses in the framing underneath, and then over and around on top, for a few X-wraps around each big section. Helps keep the tarp from moving too much, which aids in eliminating stress and tears.

Absolute pain in the arse to un-do whenever you do need to take it down (I try to save the rope ... stubborn Yankee :shock: that I am, as I don't waste or throw anything usable away!) ... but it works like a charm!

Latest posts