Fixing a hooked hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycee159

Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas on how to fix a hook in the rear of the hull? It's about a 3/8" hook at its worst and spans about 20" basically from the transom to the first brace. I need some sort of jacking system to hold it once it's pushed out. Thanks in advance for any help.
3f04fc2c434563cf0e4c7706898d5ebb.jpg
4ba3607b5f4f9e09ea273b907a7a6728.jpg
bb9e9b44f651b3ea5da087ec190f1940.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I'm thinking is to fab an extra rib & run it across - if you can't fab a rib & make it look original you could probably just rivet a piece of angle across. For it to have hooked the metal will have stretched some, a rib will help but I doubt anything will get it perfect.

Do you know what caused it in the first place? Not that it helps you fix it, but if its due to the trailer not being properly setup you could be looking at more problems in the transom area down the line.

onthewater102 said:
All I'm thinking is to fab an extra rib & run it across - if you can't fab a rib & make it look original you could probably just rivet a piece of angle across. For it to have hooked the metal will have stretched some, a rib will help but I doubt anything will get it perfect.

Do you know what caused it in the first place? Not that it helps you fix it, but if its due to the trailer not being properly setup you could be looking at more problems in the transom area down the line.
I was able to fab a wooden frame around the boat, 2 4x4's on top 2 on the bottom, used some cribbing and bottle jack to push it flat. When tension was relieved it sprung back some. Going to put a brace under the bottle jack and press it flat again then weld that in

As far as what caused it, I'm sure running over **** in the river after to much Jamison. Trailer bunks come past the transom

Well just in case anyone needs to know how to fix this.. I used (4) 4x4's and made a frame so to speak. One over top each other, pair at the transom and a pair at the first brace. Used heavy duty ratchet tie downs to pull the pair together and make them ridged (1 on each side so 4 total). Then used some 2x6's and two bottle jacks, put the brace in and pressed it down on the bottom of the boat. Once the hook was pushed out in then welded the brace in place... And voilà...
865b941302ba84e61d7677fe71708796.jpg

Last time I did this a made a stand that went under the boat while it was inverted. held up the boat by the damaged part. I used sandbags and weight to push down around the damage allowing the support under the boat to push against the damage till it flattened out. Worked great.

gunz said:
Last time I did this a made a stand that went under the boat while it was inverted. held up the boat by the damaged part. I used sandbags and weight to push down around the damage allowing the support under the boat to push against the damage till it flattened out. Worked great.
Nice improv.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Hope your inventive solution works well for you.

Some boat architects actually design a hook into some hulls. A hook works like wedges or even tabs to keep the bow down.

richg99