Adhesive for fatigue matting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfrnut

Reaction score
Just curious, for those that have gone down the road of using some form of matting as opposed to carpet, how did you go about securing it to the decks? Adhesive type? Think I am going to install that on my decks as opposed to carpet but a little concerned about securing it. I want to use something that holds, but not something that's going to be impossible to remove or I'm going to have to start removing paint to do so in the case of the padding not holding up or me not liking it.

Don't know of anyone that's used anti fatigue matting on their boat, but out of curiosity, how thick is the stuff you're planning to use? Thinking about what your asking for, it's probably going to be difficult to find an adhesive that will hold well enough to handle the winds generated from towing, yet comes off easily when you want to remove it. Unless you find some type adhesive that will break down easily from exposure to some chemical that doesn't affect paint.

JMichael said:
Don't know of anyone that's used anti fatigue matting on their boat, but out of curiosity, how thick is the stuff you're planning to use? Thinking about what your asking for, it's probably going to be difficult to find an adhesive that will hold well enough to handle the winds generated from towing, yet comes off easily when you want to remove it. Unless you find some type adhesive that will break down easily from exposure to some chemical that doesn't affect paint.

Yes, that's basically what I am after. I want something that you would consider permanent, but if it doesn't hold up or I decide I hate it, I want something that is actually removable without tearing up the deck to do so if I wanted to go back to just the painted surface.

I have seen some folks that have reported success with the interlocking matting. I have seen that in thickness usually anywhere from 1/4"-1/2". That's also a part of the search, finding something that will bond to the aluminum and also that rubber backing. In the end, I haven't ruled out screws/fender washers either to this point.

You might want to look into that stuff they put on jet ski's. I think some people have used that in their builds. You might be able to find that with a search. I can't remember the name of it but seems like the word hydro was in the name of the material.

Edit: Found it! LoL it's Hydro Turf. Not sure how it's applied but it might be worth looking at based on what you're looking for. https://hydroturf.com/

Yup, I went with a cheaper option that people had given in the past through some forum searches. Hear great things about the turf, the stuff is just not cheap for experimentation.

Also used a can of 3M spray adhesive which I had also seen suggested. I have my doubts on the longevity of it holding as it's basically the same glue on their tape, just in a can. If it works, awesome, if it doesn't hold up acetone should be able to take off the residue pretty easily. The matting is down decently well at the moment, I can peel it up with some effort, but as long as it keeps air out from under the matting while going down the highway at 70MPH, I should be okay.

Latest posts