Great 'copper free' anti-fouling paint for tin boats!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I leave my boats in a tidal estuary 24/7 usually from mid-May to October. I'm late getting my 12' skiff in this year, but that's besides the point ...

If you ever need anti-fouling bottom paint protection, I am simply amazed at the results I got using the 'CFA' (copper-free ablative) from West Marine. The river I boat on is known for producing a heavy slime as well as barnacles and/or limpets, if a boat isn't used much or is unprotected.

I surely don't use the little skiff as much as my other boats, but this bottom was the cleanest of them all! No growth and no barnacles or limpets ANYWHERE on the A-F paint! All you can see is the 'waterline stain' from sitting in the water. I'm really impressed with it. I bought a gallon and it takes ~1/2" of paint to cover the 12-footer ... so that gallon will go far!

And it's also on sale right now- $150/gallon, where it usually is $220. Ouch :shock: - yes - but zowie - it sure works great!

FYI - The 'spots' you see on the hull are where I needed to replace a few rivets due to age ... but not as a failure of the paint.

Attachments

• Skiff03 Re-Riveted.jpg
    Skiff03 Re-Riveted.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 407
  • W-M CFA Ablative.jpg
    W-M CFA Ablative.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 407

Latest posts