10ft jon boat to small?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I recently got a 10ft jon boat on a trade and was wondering should I even consider keeping it. I have a 14ft vhull that I mainly fish out of with a friend but it's to heavy to carry even with 2 people. My fishing buddy has a kayak and always wants to hit up no motor lakes or other small lakes. I thought this 10ft jon would be perfect for me only, but now I'm starting to reconsider as I weigh 300lbs.

Would I be crazy to fish out of this thing? No trolling motor just rowing only.

Attachments

• 1465513908280.jpg
    1465513908280.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 4,172
You'll be fine - you should be able to stand & cast no problem if you're on a no-motor lake. I'm 230 +/- and i fish with a friend who is 200 +/- out of his 10' with a 6hp on the back and a TM in the front in a limited access lake around here...both standing & no one's ever gone swimming.

Definitely keep the PFD on though - when things go bad in a small boat it happens quickly and you can't afford not to have a PFD on in one of those moments.

welcome aboard !!

I had a G3 1032 for two days - took it out one time - sold it the next day.
and I weigh 185#.
I found the photo of the capacity plate and it says 275 pounds max loaded.
with maximum of two people and maximum HP was 3hp outboard.
G3 Capacity tag.JPG
Take it to a SHALLOW body of water - get in it - wiggle around a little.
see how you fit in it.
with your size - there is zero room for a dog, trolling battery, gas tank
cooler or anything..... because, you would have to move around some
to get something then - you are swimming back to the landing.
because there is NO way you could get back into the boat.

good luck - be safe

Yeah...we didn't abide by the capacity sticker...but it floated. I wouldn't do that if there were other boat traffic.

...it was a 1036 though

I sold mine years ago after one trip down a quiet river with a 3hp Evinrude on the boat, me about 160lbs (in those days :roll: ), and the water at the stern about two inches from joining me in the boat.

I would not have put one of the dogs in there with me, and I was younger and even dumber than I am now.

Your choice, always, but if it floats, there is NO room for error.

I hope you do well.

I keep my Coleman Crawdad around just in case I ever want to use it... I have from time to time.... If its not costing you anything why not?

We have the same boat. Little 10 footer. (my parents actually) Tippy as heck. I have fished it a few times and its the reason I bought a bigger wider boat. I used a troll motor and it was OK. but if you need to move at all. You have to alert the other person to hold on for dear life.

I don't care for them unless you have a small private pond.

Anyone think I could remove the middle seat and add a few ribs and just sit in it like a kayak to get my center of gravity lower?

227 - if you are this new to boating, I strongly suggest
that you very carefully consider what you are asking . . . .
we, the gallery, can not - and should not, ethically bless
your aspirations. A very real concern for your safety is
at hand with modifying and possibly compromising the
structural integrity of this small aluminum boat to accomodate
a 300 pound person..........

I for one vote NO to your question. Based on my personal
experience of owning one of these things in the stock condition.
I can not fathom altering it structurly just to get it to carry more weight
than it was designed and fabricated to carry.

but, it boils down to: Your Boat = Your Call.

happy SAFE boating

I had a 10'Lowe. Was great with just me. I had the battery up front. 48# trolling motor would run all day long. It also worked great with 2 people. My soon to be ex was atleast 250#'s and me at 175#'s the little boat still floated high and was stable

227 said:
Anyone think I could remove the middle seat and add a few ribs and just sit in it like a kayak to get my center of gravity lower?
No.

Johnny said:

happy SAFE boating

After further looking at it and feeling how flimsy the metal is I don't think I'm going to remove the seat or even use it. I think I'm going to plug a few small holes and and paint it and build a small trailer and try to sell it or trade it for a canoe. In the mean time I think I will just stick with my larger boat.

I'm 210 or so and gave away my 10 footer to a friend so her two young sons could put it on their pond. That way at least someone could get some use out of it. I fished from it in a local lake that was super shallow and never did feel comfortable standing up in it. A 1236 or 1242 is probably the minimum I'd like to have anymore for solo fishing.

After looking closer at your pic I think mine was **** near identical to yours. The handles on the back are definitely the same. Weird.

Don't bother with the time & $$$ for a trailer for a ltwt 10' boat - anyone interested in that is going to throw it in the bed of a pickup & call it a day.

Agreed, Plus being so thin and lightweight, its hard to find a trailer that is setup for such a small boat that wont bounce down the road.

227 said:
Johnny said:

happy SAFE boating

After further looking at it and feeling how flimsy the metal is I don't think I'm going to remove the seat or even use it. I think I'm going to plug a few small holes and and paint it and build a small trailer and try to sell it or trade it for a canoe. In the mean time I think I will just stick with my larger boat.

You made the right decision and it'll let you live to fish another day.

dont get a trailer. they are light enough to load and unload by yourself. for storage i used a "kayak" lift in the ceiling of my garage. back my truck in attach and pull the rope until it was flush with the ceiling.

Latest posts