Hello

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadzeilenga

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm in the process of transferring my grandfathers aluminum 1972 Sears 14' boat to my name. It was my inheritance along with a 73 Evinrude 18hp that runs like a top and moves the boat pretty good!

Does anyone have any literature on these boats?

The boat is in pretty good shape, no leaks and transom is solid, but needs some small things done on it. A few items on the list are:

- Find a threaded drain plug. It has had those flimsy rubber Walmart Plugs and they don't always seal well on the threaded hole. I'm not sure of the thread size yet.
- Install new foam under the seats
- Install a new transom pad as the old one is deteriorated from sun
- Clean the oxidization from the aluminum. The boat has spent some winters turned upside down near the shoreline of lake and the iron in the water has stained it.
- Decide what to do with the inside bottom of the boat. It was painted at one point, but that is all worn away and the bottom is pretty slick. What do others typically do for these? A non-stick epoxy?

I also have a 57 Johnson Seahorse 7.5 that I have from my other grandfather to go with it as well. Motor runs good, just not as fast as the 18hp!

:WELCOME: I'm not much help on the floor as I haven't needed to do mine yet but check out the modifications threads and read what others have done to decide what would be best for yours.

Welcome! We use Sno-Bowl on hull stains down here. Spread it on thick with a sponge, let it work for 30-40 minutes and hose it off. Works great.

I have an old 18HP too. 51 years old and still working............................as a Bistro table at my fishcamp.

_MG_6763.jpg

:oops:

Hi All,
Just a quick update. We took the boat out on the Three Lakes, WI chain last Sunday and put ~4hrs of cruising on it. Ran great and we only went through 3/4 tank of fuel (non-ethanol please :D ). I wasn't sure how much fuel we'd go through so I had 2 full tanks for the ride.

I was able to pick up an aluminum threaded drain plug at the local marina that had the correct threads, but was loose in the drain because my threads have some damage. Not quite sure what to do about that yet, but I added some Teflon tape to take up the slack and didn't over-tighten it. Held great and didn't leak. This plug had a rubber washer to seal against the boat bottom. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

What options are available for repairing the existing drain? I'm not sure what the thread size is, but I suppose I could run a tap though there to clean up the threads some. I'd assume that this specific design isn't readily available, but it does look like the rivets can be drilled out and a replacement installed?

Also, What is the proper way to tow one of these aluminum boats with the motor installed, vertical locked, with a support? Is the 18hp motor too heavy for this 14ft boat? I'm worried about the bumps etc on the road causing the motor to rock back and forth and then leading to some damage on the boat. Has this ever happened before? The transom is solid and in good shape.

Hi Johnny,
Yes, the female threads were pretty damaged. The boat hasn't had a thread-in type of drain plug in a long time and hole is oversized compared to the plug. What was in there was those generic ones you buy at Wal-Mart.

Is that threaded part replaceable? I see that it is riveted to the bottom of the boat. Not sure if it's available anywhere though.

Chad, the brass replacement garboard drain is 3-1/4" diameter
which fits the existing drain. you may have to wallow out the
hole a bit larger and grind it flat to accept the new brass drain,
but it will fit nicely and not noticeable at all that it has been modified.
3 countersunk brass screws with brass nuts on the bottom and some sealant
and you will be in business. the plug is a standard 1/2" NPT pipe plug.
(you do not have to remove the existing drain).
garboard drain.jpg
bottom.jpg

Drain 002.JPG

use whatever tools you have to make the existing hole larger.
if you grind the shoulder off the bottom of the brass drain,
try not to remove too much material as it could crack some day.
but it it does, you now know how to replace it.
about $7.00 at BPS or on ebay. twice that at West Marine.
some wal-mart stores and ACE Hardware carries them also.

Hiya and welcome.

That 18hp Evinrude/Johnson is one of the jewels of the OMC production history. Congratulations, you may be able to leave it to your grandson.

Hard work, but the most immediately satisfying results I've had came from generic SOS pads, water, and very very tired old arms. Keep in mind, as you are shining one area, the one you just finished is busy oxidizing again.

I've used some acids, stone-wash cleaner from a farm supply story (diluted a bit) with rubber gloves, rinse with baking soda in water, and rinse with water, or, some folks have used muriatic acid (I think).

The floors of tins I've painted, I've used farm implement paint with good success. It is UV protected, flows nicely, covers well, and is formulated for repainted tractors and such. Comes in basic colors of farm equipment manufacturers--blue, grey, etc.

I make the easiest floors I can, using exterior 1/2 inch plywood wedged under the seats and indoor/outdoor carpet. It deadens the noise, eliminates slipping, and comes out for a hosing down. It is also low, so your center of gravity stays low.

Be safe, have fun, work within your capabilities, and cherish that motor.

=D>

My parents located some of the original literature for this motor which is excellent to have on-hand.

f5d6802a15433806dc2c8b610559a02c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny said:
Chad, the brass replacement garboard drain is 3-1/4" diameter
which fits the existing drain. you may have to wallow out the
hole a bit larger and grind it flat to accept the new brass drain,
but it will fit nicely and not noticeable at all that it has been modified.
3 countersunk brass screws with brass nuts on the bottom and some sealant
and you will be in business. the plug is a standard 1/2" NPT pipe plug.
(you do not have to remove the existing drain).
garboard drain.jpg
bottom.jpg

Drain 002.JPG

use whatever tools you have to make the existing hole larger.
if you grind the shoulder off the bottom of the brass drain,
try not to remove too much material as it could crack some day.
but it it does, you now know how to replace it.
about $7.00 at BPS or on ebay. twice that at West Marine.
some wal-mart stores and ACE Hardware carries them also.

Brass is terribly reactive with aluminum. You want bronze.

Latest posts