Live well question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stomper

Reaction score
I am building a cooler live well for the back of my pontoon boat. If I set it up to continually pump lake water into the bottom of the cooler and drain out of the overflow near the top of the cooler, will I need to have an aeration system also. The water supply pump will run constantly like the aerator pump would normally run. My thinking is there will be a steady supply of fresh cool lake water which the fish live in already so it should be fine for them. Is this correct.

I built my livewell to have the cool water spray against the inside top of the box & set the drain slightly below that level to get aeration of the incoming lake water. My thinking was we're pulling water off the top layer of the lake which will be the warmest water in the lake - so especially in the summer every little bit helps.

OHHH - see if you can find a 1" drain fitting/plumbing if you're using a 3/4" intake - I found the hard way my pump brings in way more water than gravity will carry away through my 3/4" drain fitting. If I don't pay attention to the pump it will overflow the top of the livewell & spill out into the boat. Not necessarily a problem, but I try to keep the inside of the boat dry so I don't have my foam standing in water over time.

Latest posts