Installing fuel cell in rear bench 2015 Tracker Grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tracker Grizzly and am considering installing a permanent fuel cell inside the rear bench. I'm currently running a portable 6 gal tank in the very back and would like to put maybe a 10-12 gallon tank under the bench that I can wire up to a fuel gauge.

How would you guys suggest getting the tank in the back bench? The bench is made into the sides. Here is a picture.
built6-illustration.png

I know I will have to install a filler tube and lid. I know I will also need to run a vent line. I'll have to secure the tank down somehow and I'm sure I'm supposed to vent the area where the tank is installed. I just can't figure out a good way to get a tank under there. Should I just cut in a big hatch?

I think you said it yourself, cut a big hole in that seat. What else can you do if you want the fuel cell in there? I'd probably cut a big hole in the top of the seat and cap the seat afterwards with wood.

I'd go simple ... I'd just cut-out as much of the fwd face of the rear bench seat as needed and would put a plastic 10-12 gallon tank inside. Yes, you may need to put some type of vertical bracing back in for structural integrity, but that's how I'd do it.

Attachments

• Grizzly.png
    Grizzly.png
    87 KB · Views: 1,586
^^^ I'd prefer to go through the face if possible as well - maintain the integrity of the bench to prevent flexing of the hull & easy to add vertical supports for the seat.

I'd be looking to add foam though to replace what you removed - perhaps fill the majority of the cavity behind the bench between the bench & transom & extend the deck rearward? That's the foam that will keep your outboard aboveboard if something goes seriously wrong for you.

Great idea! I'm doing the same in my Weldbilt, just mounting it in the front deck to counter some weight. 10-15 gallons will be A LOT of extra weight at a little less than 8 lbs per gallon.

What I'm gonna do, is buy one of these tanks, and have a fabricator build brackets for mounting.

https://www.fueltankparts.com/universal-tanks/aluminum-tanks.html

mbweimar said:
Great idea! I'm doing the same in my Weldbilt, just mounting it in the front deck to counter some weight. 10-15 gallons will be A LOT of extra weight at a little less than 8 lbs per gallon.

What I'm gonna do, is buy one of these tanks, and have a fabricator build brackets for mounting.

https://www.fueltankparts.com/universal-tanks/aluminum-tanks.html

Those are some nice looking tanks. I was just gonna buy one of those white below deck tanks and stick it under there. After looking into it more the back deck has a large inspection plate but I don't think I could get a fuel cell in through it.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I just need to look at some hatches and find something that would be decent.

Maybe this would fit?

1754 GAS TANK.jpg

It is from a Tracker 1754. It is installed through the top of the deck with a sheetmetal cover screwed down to cover the opening.

An option.

Rob

Latest posts