weldbilt question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimboat

Reaction score
Is anybody here familiar with older weldbilt that appears to have original manufactured side consol and seat pedestal and transom "box" and floor...all carpeted...my question is...is that floor wooden? What do I need to look at specifically for weaknesses in the boat. I am going to see it in 2 days so any fast information would be extremely helpful. I believe it is a 1656 model.

Thankyou...I have read this....alot of information, but still nobody has mentioned what the floor is made of when they "pulled " it off...sounds like wood but not stated or pictured.

Jimboat, do you what year the boat was manufactured? The reason I ask is because what everyone refers to as the "older" Weldbilts, were made in Perry, FL I believe. At that time they were under completely different ownership, and were built very well, similar to Sandy Whites. Today's Weldbilts are manufactured in Arkansas and as I have discovered, they're not very well built. Pics of the boat would be very helpful.

I don't know anything about the older Weldbilts, but I can tell you anything you want to know about the new ones. It's likely the floor is wooden, but it wouldn't have come from the factory that way. Even an older one. But people tend to customize their aluminum boats to their taste, and I have seen many a wood floor added.

When you go to look at the boat, go over it with a fine tooth comb, looking for cracks and broken welds. The new Weldbilts are made from .080 aluminum which is very light weight, but also very weak. It will work fine for small rivers and lakes, but they don't like being exposed to a chop, lots of boat, traffic, or any sort of rough water. Ask me how I know...

the owner says he can't find year built but said built in Alabama or Ark.....he can't find model number but says 16' x 7" so sounds like 1656

Attachments

• IMG_20160707_075321 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160707_075321 (1).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 948
Thank wbwelmar...I read you thread with great interest................I know it has sat for a couple years

The seller cannot find a HIN (Hull ID Number) ???

Perhaps it was built before 1972. You might want to read this ..

https://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

richg99

p.s. One time I, unknowingly, bought a boat without a HIN. When I took a very good look, it appeared that it did have one, at one time. The original HIN was chiseled off. A sure sign of a stolen boat. I got my money back from the seller. Had to threaten him with a call to the sheriff's office claiming he sold me stolen property. I had my money within 30 minutes after that conversation.

I'd say you got a good one. Like rich said, make sure you get a title, with a hull number that matches. On my boat the HIN is stamped on a piece of aluminum and welded to the top of the transom on the outside. Then on the inside tucked way up in the corner is another one. Here's some pics. There upside down because my boat is upside down on the trailer now.

Thankyou mb...great info!!...in Maine we don't have titles for boats (that I have ever had) we use registration transfer and bill of sale.

Latest posts