Help with deck / hatch covers / livewell on blue fin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaredTowne

Reaction score
Hey guys. I can usually find everything I need by searching the old posts, so no reason to post much, but I am stumped on this one.

I am rebuilding a 86 16" bluefin side console. I have come to the point of installing my decks and cutting out all my openings, but before I go wasting rather expensive 3/4" wood I need to figure out how this was originally configured.

Here is the problem - I did not take it apart - I did not see the boat in its original form - there was no wood at all when it came to me. It was a project someone started and gave up on.

My question is with the livewell really . all the supports are riveted in and the livewell is just sitting there at this time, but it sits lower then the rest of the deck supports. so I am not sure how to cut the wood for this, it seems like I am missing something. If i just deck the whole thing and cut a hole for a lid then there is going to be a gap between the deck and well sides. If I cut out the well shape and deck the rest and just make a lid for the whole well, its going to sit lower then the rest of the deck?? how did they originally do this??

I have searched trying to find pictures of similar configured boats and have not find anything of use. I have basic wood working skills , its my weak point.

I have the rest figured out (i think). the back corners are getting filled with foam. on each side of the well will be an access lid, but no issues there.

thanks ahead of time. let me know if you need any other information. I appreciate all input

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 373
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 373
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 373
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 373
Hmmm I have no idea why it was built that way, and never saw that brand of boat.

If I were stuck with the same setup, though, I'd use the extra depth as an advantage.

I'd build the deck hatch by using a piece of plywood that fits the outside edge of the livewell. I'd add 1x2x 3/4 inch ( or whatever size stock was needed ) to the bottom edges of the new hatch plywood to have it finish out at the same height as the rest of the decking.

Then, I'd fill the cavity (on the bottom side of the hatch cover) with foam. The foam would help keep the livewell cooler and keep the bait/fish alive longer.

Just making lemonade out of lemons!

Hope my crazy idea helps. richg99

I did not think about insulation!. Thats clever thinking!. I also have give or take 1" on all sides of the well box as well.. Which I could stuff with foam.

Not sure on the whole story of Bluefin boats - they are common up here in the northeast (NY)

You've helped more then you know, I sat there staring at it - not wanting to regret my decision when I started cutting. And it is now holding up progress.

Latest posts