Best way to work on the inside of the boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly questions like this won't make you too many friends on the forums. I'm sure you'll figure it out...

No problem.
I built a cradle from 2x4's 8' long by 48" wide with carpeted 8' bunks and 3" casters.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
No problem.
I built a cradle from 2x4's 8' long by 48" wide with carpeted 8' bunks and 3" casters.

Got any pics of it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Learn as you go - find out what works best for you.
Personally, if I am working on the inside of a boat,
it is easier for me for the boat to be off the trailer and
on the ground - some wood chocks to hold it in place
so it won't rock and roll around - - - -
some scrap carpet at the entry point to keep the dirt out.
Easier on the body getting in and out @ 70 years old
vs on the trailer with a step stool.

Johnny said:
shaking my head with MoMule

"ditto"

The idea of a "sling" didn't cross my mind. I assume there are people working on boats for which they do not have a trailer... Possible right? So what do they do... Nothing? Go buy a trailer before doing anything?

If that was the best answer, a sling, then I would like to consider that.

I appreciate your kind words and may none of your questions be silly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as a dumb question!
I've seen folks use 2x4's to prop it up so they can work
on the inside.
The important part is to be comfortable while working
on it. You'll find out restorations usually take twice as
long as you figure. :shock: :cry:
And don't worry, You will make plenty of friends on this
forum.
good Luck with your boat.

Steve A W

Wow, really like that tire idea. I have some saw horses that you can cut 2x4 legs at whatever length you'd like. But stability can be an issue without side to side bracing, etc.

Steve A W said:
There's no such thing as a dumb question!
I've seen folks use 2x4's to prop it up so they can work
on the inside.
The important part is to be comfortable while working
on it. You'll find out restorations usually take twice as
long as you figure. :shock: :cry:
And don't worry, You will make plenty of friends on this
forum.
good Luck with your boat.

Steve A W

X2

There's probably al kinds of crazy things you could try. I have to keep mind on the trailer as I don't have the room to store both separately. Remember though if you're adding a lot of things to it like floors, carpet and so on it gets heavier in a hurry. Just e sure you have enough friends on hand to get it back on the trailer again.

I suspect that 90% of any work that I did on my boat(s) over the years were inside of the boat itself.

I never thought to do anything else other than leave it on the trailer, inside of my garage ( **** HOA). I keep front and back garage doors open, and I often add a fan or two directed at the area in which I need to do the work.

I do put a full size 6 or 8 foot step ladder on one side. I haul a lot of tools to the boat before even starting, but I am always crawling back off and on to get something else.

I also bring a light or two, since inevitably, I will be working under the console or someplace that is dark.

Having a cooperative wife nearby (shouting distance ) to hold/grab/fetch something is invaluable. A nice dinner out is only fair for your friendly helper!

richg99

I hoist mine into position comfortable for me. I let gravity and a pressure washer do scrubbing. For applying paint remover, scraping, washing this was awesome.

Attachments

• August 2015IMG_2709.JPG
    August 2015IMG_2709.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 896
  • EMAILIMG_4043.JPG
    EMAILIMG_4043.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 896
Suburban development living doesn't allow me to have a nice outbuilding like that. Boy, that would be nice.

HOA as well. I had to leave mine on the trailer. Since my garage is a recording studio I had to work in the driveway or take it to work and park it in the warehouse over weekends. I was lucky to have the work option. Going to do my hubs saturday in the warehouse!

weweber3 said:
Suburban development living doesn't allow me to have a nice outbuilding like that. Boy, that would be nice.

I hear that, after 40 years of living in the country my wife decided we should live in a HOA community ... sure do miss my old barn !

Latest posts