Need a good seat idea..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott85

Reaction score
I use my boat for duck hunting only. I normally hunt by myself and I use the middle bench to sit on while I hunt. I don't like that I either have to straddle the bench or fold my leg on the bench. Is there any recommendation to fix the problem.
d129b620bd564db93017252de6f8e07e.jpg
49c7b97ddeabcfb6a84823b78e481008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main thing is it's just plain uncomfortable to sit with a leg resting on the bench or sitting for a long time with feet on either side of the bench. I guess the easiest thing would be to remove the bench but then how would I mount the seat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you remove the seat, you might lose some side strength.
But if you do remove the seat you will have to replace the floatation
lost with the seat.
Then build a pedestal for the seat.
Just my thinkin.

Steve A W

Maybe...a 2x6 or 2x8 running longitudinally (from bow to stern) with an extra seat post receptacle set into it.

You would position the seat receptacle so that your legs would be comfortable when using it.

Obviously, this would be made-up as an easy-to-remove temporary addition. Use it only when hunting.

Just a thought. richg99

I guess I'll just leave it the way it is. I do plan adding a G5 slider to it and maybe that will help

Set a folding camp chair between the middle and rear seats, problem solved. Nothing to modify and when not needed leave the folding chair at home....

Bailey Boat said:
Set a folding camp chair between the middle and rear seats, problem solved. Nothing to modify and when not needed leave the folding chair at home....
I too was thinking along those lines! We used to put plastic folding seats on the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket that was turned upside-down on the hull floor.

For sea ducking we even cut the bucket down some to lower our profile somewhat against the hull topsides. Worked slick! We had a flat wood floor though, whereas you might need to add a piece of 18" by 18" piece or so of cheap plywood to the bucket for more stability.

I am adding a wood floor and I've thought about folding seats and such I might just move my blind so I'm hunting off the starboard side vs the port and just hunt off the back bench because I'm a lefty.

Awesome thanks for the pictures. I've decided to go with the slider and hopefully that will give me more leg room. I want to keep the profile of the blind low so I will not use the seat post.

the slider will allow you to position the seat any where you want on the bench. Also its made of real heavy duty materials. I was impressed when I received it.

when you mentioned duck hunting I did not think about my setup because of the seat post, but it works the same without it

What type of hardware did you use to fasten the slider in place.

Scott85 said:
I once put one in place using hi-strength 1/4" rivets from McMaster-Carr. You need a large A-frame rivet gun to set them, but I could send you a few rivets if needed, as these were only sold in bulk packs.

I had put my side-to-side (see picture) seat slider on the middle seat, so the crew could sit off to one side while cruising (as the Capt sits on the starboard side behind the console) and then move to the middle - or wherever they wanted - when fishing. Worked well ...

Attachments

• Seat-Slider.jpg
    Seat-Slider.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 547
Scott85 said:

it comes with mounting hardware. SS sheet metal screws, lots of them

I did have a mount like Dale pictured, to be honest it does not hold a candle to the GS Slider mount I have now

Thanks perch I'll be ordering the slider very soon but first things first it's time to paint the boat

I have the long slides in my boat. I really like them because I can shove the seat to one side when I want to step into the other compartment. Also, they don't pop off like the clamp ons.

I wish I had a picture..........I met a Duck hunter who was leaving Jordan Lake one evening. He had an ancient,narrow, beat up, spray can camo 14' jon boat w tiller and a nice adjustable high back office chair w armrests and pedistal mounted on the rear bench. It was high enough to easily step over the bench/turn bow or stern or 360 while seated. I asked if it was tricky sitting up that high and he said only when his buddy was was in another office chair in the front and they faced the same side. He was hunting alone that day so he removed the front chair. He said he draped camo netting over the boat and it was easy to swing around any direction to get on the passing ducks in that comfy chair.

Latest posts