1442 Mod Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danaelk

Reaction score
Reposting because it never posted (that I'm aware of). I don't think I put in a subject.

Starting the deck extension portion of my 17yo son's 1442 Alumacraft. A couple of "head scratchers":

1) The factory deck will be extended back to the last rib in front of the middle seat. This should give the passenger some legroom when facing forward. I am thinking of lowering the deck extension to about seat height only because I imagine it may be a little unstable. My son is 160# and agile so probably won't be to bad for him. Problem w/ this is I lose storage space. Am I worrying about nothing as far as the stability goes?

2) The factory deck is hollow (no foam). Would a hatch be a problem in this deck? Not sure about the support configuration underneath the deck. I see the rivets and I'm guessing that the supports run horizontally from side to side.

3) If space allows, I want the (future) TM battery under a hatch up front. Is this OK as far as weight distribution?

4) Are you all just using a jig saw to cut out for hatches?

5) Rivets vs screws for the alum decking framework? If so just curious why.

In the end, I'm looking to have room for the TM, TM battery under a hatch, a removable casting seat and possibly another hatch for some storage.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Latest posts