Bow Mounted Boarding Ladder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshine

Reaction score
I have a 1644 flat bottom with a swamp runner mud motor on it.

While I see plenty of options for stern mounted boarding ladders, based on my experience with this setup I do not feel that would be the safest and would make it fairly easy to swamp the boat. I'm about 220 and when I stand up and get as far back as I can to take a leak or something, I don't have but a few inches of freeboard on whatever corner I'm favoring. I do see some commercial options that would probably work for my application but I thought I'd gather opinions from you guys before making solid plans.

So my question to you guys is....Have any of you installed a removable or fold up boarding ladder on the bow? I am having a "bow cap" of about 12" width, 3/8" thick diamond plate welded on the front for a couple cleats, my light bar, and nav lights.

I have access to a pretty awesome shop at work, including a couple guys that will weld for me for a case of beer so fabbing something isn't out of the question.

Pics would probably be helpful, and I can provide some later on today.

This would probably not get used a whole heck of a lot, but would be great at times for shallow water spearfishing/scalloping.

Anyways, thanks for any insight, experience, or ideas in advance.

my thought pattern leans to taking your boat into shallow water,
maybe waist deep and explore your exit/entry options and see what
ideas you come up with.........
With a wet weight of over 200# any kind of step or ladder would have to
really be supported from under the bow so you don't push it under the hull.
You are correct in the idea that a side or stern ladder is not a "safe" option.
Jon Ladder.png
Your "fabricating engineers" at your work could probably come up with
a design that will allow easy attachment/removal of a ladder......
storage may be an issue.

I met a bottle collector a few years ago that had a small
boat - either a 10 or 12 foot Jon - can't remember.
But, he had a piece of 1/2" conduit pipe about the length of his boat
and he would poke around on the bottom of the lake with this pole .....
if he heard a sound he liked, like glass or metal, he had a 10ft aluminum
step ladder he would deploy over the side and use that for getting in and out
of his little boat..... I was flabbergasted at his hobby as he explained it to me.
he kept a rope tied from the boat to the ladder in case the boat drifted away by accident.

I know that a step ladder in the boat is not what you are looking for.
but, maybe the design or layout may give you an idea or two.

Take a look at the Armstrong boarding ladders. My buddies use these for diving and they all weight 200+ pounds before the addition of weight belts, tanks and associated dive gear.

Also note that they are only supported by one spot - that of the pivot/connection joint, so you won't need an additional support under the bow, although it sure would likely help in your install on a tin boat. All of the Armstrong ladders I've seen installed on dive boats have been positioned off the transom platform on big CC or otherwise heavy saltwater-worthy hulls. I think I saw a picture somewhere of someone who had one mounted off the bow of their CC, as they boated on big lakes/reservoirs like Lake Meade and they would pull the bow into the shore.

https://www.armstrongnautical.com/marine_ladders.htm

My only concern with a bow mount ladder is the waters you may board in. Is there a tidal or river current? One could easily be swept under the bow :shock: if/when trying to board in a strong current ...

Attachments

• Armstrong Ladder.jpg
    Armstrong Ladder.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,260
Sunshine,

We use something exactly like you are describing when we dive off of our 1648. I couldn't find any pics of the underside, but it looks pretty much like barefoot johnny described, only the support arm is pretty close to the beam under the bow. We did have to add the reinforcement bar seen on the front deck in the photo, as the weight of the diver and gear can get pretty heavy.

Good luck,

Ictalurus

Attachments

• Ladder.jpg
    Ladder.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,240

Latest posts