painting a boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybear

Reaction score
Hi .I am painting my SF14 , I have sanded it down with 100 grit and 150 grit am only doing the top half .It's been painted by the factory when it was new seeing it's 26 years old it needs a new coat of paint .I have been told to sand it down with 100 to 150 grit sand paper ,wash it off with vinegar and then a tack cloth . my question is do I need to do a primer coat or just paint it .?

I personally would zinc chromate primer any 'bare' aluminum.

But if you just were sanding a previously painted surface that was otherwise intact, you shouldn't need that ... nor the vinegar wash either (which is only good for bare aluminum).

I just painted the inside of my Jon boat. I personally started with 150 grit then switched to 220 to get it really smooth.

Mine was oxidized really bad from the Florida sun so I primed it. I would recommend priming, it helps the paint adhere better to the aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on what paint your going to use will depend on how you prep it. When I repainted my prior boat I used automotive base coat clear coat(I work in a body shop)I only done the sides but did strip them to bare aluminum then washed it down with vinegar then self etched it, scuffed that with a scotch brite pad then applied sealer and then paint then clear coat.I f your gonna strip it 100 grit is fine if not I would not go below 220 grit.If you strip it you need to etch prime it if not then you don't really have to prime it.

It's easy to get in over your head when painting. Ask me how I know. The best advice I can off you is this:

Read and understand the application directions and follow them EXACTLY. If you have any questions, call the manufacturer. Generally speaking, if the paint is in good shape, you can sand over it with 80 or 100 grit, wipe it down with a solvent, and paint over it. Any bare aluminum needs to be sanded,primed with zinc chromate, or some sort of bare metal self etching primer, then painted over.

I'm sure you probably know this already, but the amount of prep you put into your paint job affects the outcome.

Good luck and come back if you have any questions. And post pics of the finished product!

I sanded it down with a 180 grit, washed the boat with soap and water ,the next day I applied a solvent let it dry then applied the paint .I rolled it then followed with a dry brush (it takes the bubbles out of paint ) let dry and painted again doing the same method .It turned out really nice as for the bottom will leave it as is .I use rustolem top side paint .

grumpybear said:
I sanded it down with a 180 grit, washed the boat with soap and water ,the next day I applied a solvent let it dry then applied the paint .I rolled it then followed with a dry brush (it takes the bubbles out of paint ) let dry and painted again doing the same method .It turned out really nice as for the bottom will leave it as is .I use rustolem top side paint .
That's called the roll and tip method and it works well.

Pressure wash, dry, cheap paint brush, Rustoleum. Repeat, perfect.

Attachments

• Aug 2016IMG_4654.JPG
    Aug 2016IMG_4654.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 674

Latest posts