Utility boat question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1313nortac

Reaction score
m shopping for a 14' utility boat, I see the tracker v14 guide has a hull thickness of .063 and the lowe has a .050. But people on the net seems to think tracker stinks and lowe is better. Lund hulls are also .063 guage but are out of my price range. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Depends what the boat is used for. I've had boats at .05 and don't mind them. And I constantly beach my boats, beat the snot out of them duck hunting and use them for whatever. So I doubt the Lowe you'd notice much difference from unless you're very hard on it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Another thing I'll add is that the tracker rates at a 20 hp motor and the lowe a 10.

A friend of mine has a tracker an his only complaint is that the paint finish is poorly applied & easy to scratch. But if there is a significant price difference all the extra man-hours of proper prep & application in the paint could make up that difference and the core boat might not be functionally different.

Lowe looks be a much nicer layout if these are the boats you're comparing.

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3955
https://www.loweboats.com/utility-boats/1467/

Great point. I'll be researching more before my purchase. I'm new here and what I learn will help. Thanks again

.063? .050? LOL. Tin foil.

.080 is about the thinnest material that I like, but that's my opinion.

Can't find a 14 utility with a .080. Please show me one. Thanks

I have a Lowe1448MV it seems thin compared to some of my relatives welded duck boats. Those duck boats are heavy as all get out. Unless you are jumping logs with a muck motor on the back it is unnecessary.

My Lowe is nice and light and moves out nice with a 15hp although it is rated for a 25hp. Easy to push around and I have yet to burn 6gal of gas during a fishing season. It has taken some log hits, sand bars and rocks and still looks great and doesn't leak a drop.

Neighbor bought a Tracker and had it out front of his house for sale within a week. When a small scratch started the paint flaked off in huge pieces. It really looked terrible for a new boat and it just seemed real cheap to me build quality wise.

My next boat when my kids get bigger will be a Lowe Roughneck

My 1968 14 footer is 0.060" and has survived rough water and being shot through the air into a field by a hurricane. For 0.010" difference in hull material thickness I have probably dragged off that much on trailers, rocks, and sand beaches. But I like my boat as light as I can get it so I can launch and recover without getting a stroke. If you are going to get an aluminum boat and load it down with 800 pounds of wet gear, hardware, fighting chairs, trolling motor, huge batteries, and a 70HP motor, get the thickest material you can find.

Thanks all! I appreciate it greatly. Now I'm torn between a 1242 and a 1448 I'm loving the process of research in the mean time. I'll keep ya posted

Latest posts