turning a bass boat into a bay boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwayslookin

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently rebuilding a 1988 17' bluefin bass dominator,turning it into a bay boat. I am getting the ply cut, but prior to putting it in I was thinking of wrapping all the wood in a layer of fiberglass due to the fact that this is going to see almost exclusively saltwater. After the glass I am coating the upper surfaces with Duraback. Is this going to be an effective way of keeping the saltwater from eating up the wood?

I'm on a shoestring budget wood is cheaper. I will try and figure out how to load pics, I only have them on my phone and I am not electronic tech savy. One of these days I will load them on to computer then will post the pics.

i helped restore a 1973 27' Silverton cabin cruiser when i was in high school, all of the plywood we put back we coated with glass.

I think there's a natural tendency to go overboard on trying to make things last forever. And plenty of internet experts that will tell you that not spending huge money and time is substandard work. The carpet will wear out... the paint...Nothing lasts forever.

If you were talented enough to create the floors today, replacing a spot in 5 years isn't going to be much of a challenge. Why invest lots of time and money today to only save a little time 5 years from now... or 10 years....?

Truth is in 5 or 10 years you will likely be more talented... and will probably have ideas how you'd like to change that area of the boat .... Things wearing out are "opportunities"... not failures.... Just my opinion....

Latest posts