Keeping the tin company.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
It's not a substitution, but an addition.

I've been watching these Plastic Caskets develop for about 25-30 years, and the manufacturers have finally realized there is a niche for fat, old farts like myself. I have refused to purchase one of these monstrosities until recently. There is WAY too many places that need me fishing them that I can't get to otherwise. And the rod holders might be the extent of modding this thing, we'll see.

DSCF0090_zpsn3oesnyq.jpg

DSCF0089_zpsmlgiymlp.jpg

DSCF0088_zpsx2gwvxhm.jpg

Never heard of that brand but that looks to be a great layout! Enjoy!

Wow, and camouflaged to boot! Up here, in salt waters anyway, we have an affectionate term for the blue colored ones ... 'speed bumps' :lol: ! .. .hope people know I'm kidding ... don't worry, as I too fish out of a kayak.

You know, you did mention 'plastic casket' and the incidents up this aways where unfortunately there have been deaths whilst fishing, were guys out in Sit In (SI) kayaks where they capsized, could not get back into the boat, or it had no flotation chamber or float bags and the yak sunk, and they succumbed to exposure in the the cold tidal waters.

Sad ... :( And just one reason why I bought a Sit On top (SOT) kayak for my saltwater fishing.

New River Rat said:
It's a Wilderness Systems. Been around since the mid 80's.
Oh yeah, duh ... I see the brand name now, haha, but couldn't see it on my small 'schmart' phone, LOL. Only saw the 'Ride' logo.

I had their tandem model 13.5 Tarpon a few years ago ... sat 'unused' for a few years, so I sold it ... an idiot I was/am ... she was an awesome boat!

I have a 12' perception pescador. It's very similar to the older tarpon 120's. Haven't fished much in the last year or so because I was in paramedic school, but prior to that, I'd fish my yak more than my tin just because it was more simple, cheaper and I usually caught more fish.

The river was 7 minutes from my house vs 30 for the closest lake.

Moving now, so that changes the game a bit though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Ride 115 for a while. Great yak. Stable, and easy to use. I now own two Malibu Mini-X/Stealth(s) and a Lifetime Manta.

I am having a very large laugh if you think that your rod holders will be the extent of your mods. Yaks are so easy to mod. Plus you will soon "need" ......

Anchor trolley; rudder (maybe); yak cart; FF; drift chute; modified crate with even more rod holders; mesh back support; and on and on and on....Ha Ha...

Have fun. Post the mods up. I doubt if anyone here will object. richg99

I've added an anchor trolley and a modded crate. When I fish in the river, less is more because it can be easy to turtle. I usually only take a small tackle binder and two rods. One light action for bass and one ultralight for perch jerkin.

A rudder and fish finder would be sweet though and are on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Told you! Ha Ha

"A rudder and fish finder would be sweet though and are on my list."

And on and on and on..... There is a guy on YouTube who posted a series of videos called something like "poor man's fishing kayak". He took a basic Pelican ??? and modded it to his satisfaction. He had a ton of really good, inexpensive mod ideas. I'll see if I can find his name. richg99

p.s. Ahhh ha....here is ONE of his (Zoffinger) many videos. Some are hokey, and some are simply brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnxGU-i_z4

Latest posts