new guy needs input

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Genovese

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here, just found out about this site from someone on bassboatcentral as I have a nitro z7 fiberglass bass boat. I'm looking to get a jon and need some input. I live in central Illinois, and most our lakes are 25hp limit. I'm going to start fishing tournaments and I can't use my big boat, so I'm looking at jon's to transform into a bass rig. I'm looking at 1860's and 1756 trackers at bass pro. My question is, does anybody have an 1860 with a 25 on it? If so, how does it do? I've heard it will get on plane, but only do low 20's but then struggle when you add water to the livewell (cooler). There's only 124 pounds between the 2 boats, but man the extra room sure looks worth it. Heard the stability between the 2 was huge also. And that's important to me cause I'm about 290lbs myself and when I set the hook I tend to shake the boat a bit. Anyway, this site looks awesome, and I appreciate any input you guys can give me.

I think the trackers are .100 gage, could be wrong on that. U pushing with a prop or jet? Tahatsu makes a jet that is a 40 hp but 25 at the pump. They will push an .80 gage 16-17 ft with 48-52 inch bottom just fine and would fill your needs. I used to have a 1752 with a 40/28 and it pushed it fine. With a heavy load it took awhile to get on plane but it worked for me. Mercury makes a four stroke that is 25 at the jet. Might look at those as well, I think they are cheaper than the tohatsu. Where I live in south central Missouri there are motor restrictions on a lot of our rivers so the 40's and 25's are popular. Ernies sales in Ellington Mo. Current River Marine in Doniphan Mo, Trout and sons in St. James Mo could all help you out. Good reputable boat places. Flat bottom square front is most popular here for running rivers but some go with semi v with a jet cause of lake use as well. Hope this has helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are other boat places I think closer to St. Louis, those I mentioned are the ones that myself or friends have dealt with and had good experience. Let me know if I can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts