Paint Failure and a question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandrew55

Reaction score
BoatPaint.jpgSo about 10 years ago I repainted my old 1970s Duracraft 16' flatboat using some "Duck Boat Green" paint that I picked up at a local old-time hardware store. Paint was durable, worked great, never had any issues with it. About two years ago while doing a big renovation I decided I wanted to repaint a dark gray. Couldn't get "Duck Boat Gray" and ended up using a enamel polyurethane paint that I picked up at Home Depot. Put it on with my airless sprayer and it looked great.
The inside of the boat is still fine, but I fish a lot of coastal salt marsh here in Louisiana and everywhere the paint has been in contact with pounding water, the paint has failed. The attached photo really shows it--it's flaking off now in sheets, like the adhesion is completely shot--even though on the interior of the boat it's still fine. Notice how the old Duck Boat Green is still holding on perfectly underneath my stinking gray!
What paint should I use for this boat that won't require a new mortgage on the house and still get the job done? I want to come back with a better gray paint job, BTW.

Parker duck boat paint. They make a gray. It's about 53 buck with shipping. Call them directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott85,
This is indeed the company that made the 'Duck Boat Paint" green that I have on my boat--I remember the can design now that I'm seeing it.
Thanks so much! This is going to save me a lot of research and money, these guys make an excellent product at a fair price. :)

Did you rough up the green before painting it the last time? Paint doesn't like to stick to a smooth surface like it does to a rough surface. If yot take it to bare metal it likes a primer to stick to. Now saying that there are some good paints that may not need a primer to do the job you want it to do. In my experience some paints seem to get hard over time and can't take the flexing motion any longer.

KMixon,
Yeah, I think I roughed it up sufficiently. I spot primed with a good rustoleum primer before spraying two coats of the top coat. I'm wondering if I need to get all of that gray off the bottom of the boat, just to be safe.

gandrew55 said:
KMixon,
Yeah, I think I roughed it up sufficiently. I spot primed with a good rustoleum primer before spraying two coats of the top coat. I'm wondering if I need to get all of that gray off the bottom of the boat, just to be safe.
I would do my very best to remove all the old gray paint you can.

Any paint is only as good as the surface prep, it looks to me like the surface was not prepped correctly, I would strip it all off before applying any new paint or else you will get the same results. Follow manufacturers recommendations to the letter.

Yeah you'll need to get all that gray off or your new paint job will look terrible. I would recommend using a pressure cleaner to remove it

Florida_Native said:
Yeah you'll need to get all that gray off or your new paint job will look terrible. I would recommend using a pressure cleaner to remove it

I have a fine wire wheel that fits my angle grinder. I tested a patch on the side where the gray is flaking, looks like I can get it off without taking off that good green paint underneath.

gandrew55 said:
I have a fine wire wheel that fits my angle grinder. I tested a patch on the side where the gray is flaking, looks like I can get it off without taking off that good green paint underneath.

If the old gray didn't stick to the green paint, what is going to make the new gray stick to it?

Latest posts