hatch hinges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turdboman

Reaction score
I see a lot of people putting hatches in their decks with the hinges on the top ,is it possible to put the hinges underneath ?

I don't think it's possible to do that. The lid has to open toward the pivot. Depending on how far u want the lid to open it is possible to keep them flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, just like RipLip said - - - it is called a "Boat Offset Hinge" . . .
I had some on a 30ft ChrisCraft years ago.
A quick google search turned up a few suppliers
as well as on e-bay. Aluminum or Stainless.
You will see the top edge of the hinge, but that is a given.
measure 3 times - cut once.
off-set hinge.jpg

oh, and WELCOME ABOARD !!

Maybe I'm not under standing what he is asking but the end with the pivot is still toward the top. Those would work for plywood or something thicker?

yes they work for plywood to allow clearance. You need the offset for the lid to clear the other piece while opening.

Got It riplip. I just assumed aluminum that is bent.

I did have a boat one time with plywood decks that had just a standard hinges on it. Someone had used longer stainless screws like 2". They went straight into the butt ends. Seamed to work alright the 5 years I had it. The boat was garage kept most of the time though.

Turdboman - again welcome aboard !

When you ask a generic question that could bring a fishbowl
full of replies, scattered in all directions.....
you would find it more helpful if you put more information
into what you are working with...... most "add-on" decks are 1/2" plywood.
Which would require additional supports from underneath.
If you are making an "all metal" deck, that is a fish from a different pond.
Hatch covers are in a family all by itself . . . I think each person tailors their
hatch covers to fit their particular applications, and most look and work quite well.

photos or drawings of your concerns will most definately get you more accurate responses.

Latest posts