Need advice!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stroth

Reaction score
I have gotten great advice from this forum in the past and am hoping I can get some more!

I am looking for a reliable / comfortable / and economical way to get myself and my family. (Six year old daughter, 10 year old son) on the water fishing / boating etc.

A lot of the lakes near me have HP limits and speed limits.

What do you guys think of this? It is a 2007 G3 with a 2007 motor. Hard price of 2K.

Good deal / decent boat? I have chased a lot of loose ends looking for something.......

All opinions / advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

• G3 Jon.jpg
    G3 Jon.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 530
  • G3 Jon 2.jpg
    G3 Jon 2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 530
Is that a 1436? I'd go wider for sure. The boat and motor would be ok for a couple of adults and a light load but it would not only be cramped with an additional two kids but it wouldn't be very stable.

What exactly are the hp and speed limits your lakes have?

Yes, the boat is a 1436.

I have an under 10 HP on one lake and a 12 MPH speed limit on another.

We are currently using a 12' V Hull 1958 Aerocraft.

Should I look more for a v hull?

The price is right on this setup. I do not want to spend more!

THANKS

We have a couple of lakes with a 10hp limit as well, although no speed limit. I have a 1648 flatbottom with a 2-stroke 9.9 hp Johnson. It has been converted to a 15hp with a carburetor swap. It is a very stable boat and will do about 20 mph with two 170 lb adults, trolling motor, battery, 3 gallons of fuel, front and rear seats/pedestals and fishing gear. It is stable enough that two guys can stand on the small (~4 ft) front deck together.

I have never dealt with a speed limited lake so I don't know what advice to offer there specifically. 12mph does seem odd though. Around here one of their main "justifications" of the hp restriction, aside from emissions, is bank erosion. Which doesn't make sense because the main cause of bank erosion would be wakes and wakes are caused by overloaded and underpowered boats not riding on plane. It's hard for any boat to ride on plane at 12 mph, although mine will stay pretty much on plane at 13 mph with a real light load.

Based on my limited experience, I would recommend a 1442 minimum. 1448s are much more abundant though and I would think you would find plenty of that size available. I would think you could find a great 1448/9.9hp motor package for less than $2k. The only question is do you require a newer 4 stroke like what was on the boat you posted or would an older 2 stroke be fine? A new 4 stroke 9.8 hp runs about $2k alone so those packages will be higher.

Of course, you can always buy the one you posted and sell just the hull to upgrade in size at some point. I would lean to hold out for a bigger one, however, that's easy to say when I have something to use in the meantime sitting in my yard :D .

Regarding the v-hull question, I'd say a true flat bottom is the most stable hull type. A lot of v-hulls are truly flat and the rear but that true flat front on a flatbottom is incredibly stable....if the boat itself is wide enough to be stable overall.

BTW, fall is the time to buy used. So expect a lot more deals to pop up soon. After labor day the number of boats for sale should start to rise.

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to pass on this sale. I a getting a bit of a run around with the seller and I don't have time to deal with that.

I did find a local seller of a 2010 9.8 tohatsu and I think I am going to buy that if it looks good and then shop slowly for my boat. Then I can take slowly find the 'right' boat. I have a 12' 1958 Aerocraft that I have been using and can just run this one till I find the 'one'.

Latest posts