Rustoleum deck restore

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
mrdrh99

Rustoleum deck restore

Post by mrdrh99 » 01 Sep 2016, 09:33

Not trying to start another paint vs carpet thread... But....I was dead set on paint, then I thought carpet would look nicer, now I have a chance to get a 3 gallon bucket of rustoleum deck restore, very nice gray color. I can get that for $10 and have enough to do all the flat floors/decks in the boat with plenty left over. Anyone ever used it?
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die

RazorBaits
Lonedrake

Re: Rustoleum deck restore

Post by Lonedrake » 01 Sep 2016, 09:55

I've used it on my duck boat. It sticks good to wood. But, it's hard to roll on aluminum and peels off after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleH
Donor

Rustoleum deck restore

Post by DaleH » 01 Sep 2016, 10:02

I've used that product on my wood deck and still find I need to re-topcoat it every 2-3 years to keep it looking nice. Even power washed the deck and did all the cleaning steps they require. Have had similar results using a premium Behr product that on fences is "labeled to last 8-years" ... well after 5-years of weather exposure and it looks like it need a re-coat.

If it's one thing I've learned on boats ... paint ONCE and you'll be painting FOREVER!

For boats and especially longevity, I don't think one can do any better than marine vinyl. I mean look at this ... 20-years old and put on a mooring in the salt 24/7 for all those years and the vinyl flooring is still sound and looks good! Carpet at 20-years would look like crap ... and is heavy!
Attachments
Beached at Sandy Point.jpg
#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

mrdrh99

Post by mrdrh99 » 01 Sep 2016, 10:31

Lonedrake wrote:I've used it on my duck boat. It sticks good to wood. But, it's hard to roll on aluminum and peels off after a while.

Nope.... Wood surfaces only!

mrdrh99

Rustoleum deck restore

Post by mrdrh99 » 01 Sep 2016, 10:32

DaleH wrote:I've used that product on my wood deck and still find I need to re-topcoat it every 2-3 years to keep it looking nice. Even power washed the deck and did all the cleaning steps they require. Have had similar results using a premium Behr product that on fences is "labeled to last 8-years" ... well after 5-years of weather exposure and it looks like it need a re-coat.

If it's one thing I've learned on boats ... paint ONCE and you'll be painting FOREVER!

For boats and especially longevity, I don't think one can do any better than marine vinyl. I mean look at this ... 20-years old and put on a mooring in the salt 24/7 for all those years and the vinyl flooring is still sound and looks good! Carpet at 20-years would look like crap ... and is heavy!
I've looked at the vinyl before...$$$$$

This stuff I get for $10! And I'll re coat every couple years!

ericman

Rustoleum deck restore

Post by ericman » 01 Sep 2016, 16:50

No matter what, moisture and shoed feet moving about will cause the paint to flake, chip, peel. Tight quarters of a boat means higher traffic and it won't last anywhere near as long as on a wood deck on your house. Even bedliner and epoxy don't stand up, no matter what they claim. Although the Cabela's brand Tuff-Coat has held up really well in my small duck boat.

Lonedrake

Post by Lonedrake » 01 Sep 2016, 22:51

I'm on my 3rd season with the rustoleum. I will keep recoating as needed. Way cheaper than carpet or vinyl.

fishmonger

Rustoleum deck restore

Post by fishmonger » 02 Sep 2016, 06:51

I am a big proponent of painting. Although not Rustoleum, I used Behr porch and deck paint on my boat. Cleaning is just a spray with a garden hose, as mentioned it's much cheaper than vinyl and holds up well. When it's time to repaint (every 3rd season) it literally takes 5 minutes to roll another coat on and that is just to refresh it mostly due to a few scuff marks.
Retired ... Nothing to do and all day to do it.

2001 16' Lund 25 Yamaha ... SOLD
various sailboats