Best 14' for a 9.8 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stroth

Reaction score
I picked up a nice 2010 Tohatsu Outboard on Friday. It is 9.8 four stroke with what was reported as less than 20 hours on it.

I ran it over the weekend on a 1950s Aerocraft V Hull that I have. It ran perfect and was very fun.

I would like a bit of a larger boat. Maybe a 14'?

I want to be able to fish a few lakes / reservoirs near my home. Two of the reservoirs have a 12 mph limit. One is a bit over 500 acres and the other is 155 acres. The 155 acre res. has some deep spots 40-50' and a nice trout fishery. I would like to troll with the 9.8.

I would also like to do some bass fishing and have the ability to trailer the boat to some larger lakes.

Most of the time I would be by myself, but there are times when my two kids (9 and 6) and my wife would also want to join us. (More for a boat ride than a fishing trip).

What are some of my better options?

Lund wc 14?
Grizzly Tracker Johns?

Should I go v hull or for a jon / modified jon?

Thanks for any and all opinions -- I love this forum!

Matt

Congratulations on the purchase. If I remember right, you posted a while back about maybe buying a 1436 flatbottom with a 9.8 Tohatsu on it. Is this motor the one from that ad? If so, did you buy the boat with it?

No I did not buy the boat. I found another source for the motor. I was getting the run around a bit on that sale. This motor is newer than the one from that sale....

As I have been looking at used sales it seemed like one part was always way off. The boat would be usable, but the motor crapola and vice versa.... Now I have a nice steady motor to pair with something a little bigger than the 12' that I have now....

THANKS

Cool.

My advice for a hull still holds to what I mentioned before. But maybe others will chime in as well. Good Luck!

I would think that your motor would work quite nicely on a 14 footer as you mention. Many set ups came with that configuration back in the mid 60"s and 70"s. Looking at a spec sheet for the boat you are considering will tell you some important information. For instance, here is a Sea King spec sheet:
https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Seakingbb003.jpg
Looking down at the categories, you are going to want the highest weight capacity possible with the extra weight you will be carrying. Mine is considered a 14 footer, and you can see my max weight is 900 pounds. Just start adding up the weight of your motor, gear, and passengers.
Good luck in your search.

How do they regulate a 12 MPH limit, how do they expect you to know when you hit the magical number, is a GPS required?

I'd assume a HP limit would be far easier to enforce, drop a 9.9 sticker on a 15 but more then that you can tell the engine size shape.

Latest posts