!4' boat on truck rack?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rootbeer

Reaction score
Like the title says. I carry my 12' on my rack, but there are some lakes that we go to where I want the bigger boat with the larger motor.
I have a 14' Starcraft that usually sits on the trailer but with the addition of a tent trailer I would like to put the starcraft on the truck rack. Does this sound reasonable? The boat is shown in the picture.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,725
Most roof racks are only rated to ~100lbs. I'd check to make sure your roof can take it (and hold it in event of an unexpectedly sudden stop)

is this a possibility instead ?
5707252465_1f5d18e714_b.jpg

roof racking big things like canoes etc always made me nervous.... too much air moving fast past a big metal kite.... A rack like that would be a lot less heavy lifting, more secure, and less worries imo...

No, I remembered seeing it online when I was facing the same hard choices about camping and fishing. I actually went the other way and made the truck the camper.... Lots more info here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54714192@N07/

Is this roof racks that come with the truck or are these after market that slip into the bed of a Pick up truck? If the 2nd option it won't be much of a problem at all. If standard roof racks you may do the boat but have to store the engine in the rear of the truck.

We have lots of truck rack configurations here, but after trying it I decided my "lite" 15' jon was too heavy to lift onto my truck rack and bought a trailer. Ultra-lite 10' jon is no problem though.

Crazyboat said:
Is this roof racks that come with the truck or are these after market that slip into the bed of a Pick up truck? If the 2nd option it won't be much of a problem at all. If standard roof racks you may do the boat but have to store the engine in the rear of the truck.

It is a home made rack. I've pretty much decided against it at this point. I was feeling very uncomfortable given the weight and the current rack that I have and decided to trust my gut, given the potential negative consequences of getting it wrong. I think I will wait until I have a heavier duty rack that extends over the cab of the truck.

Thanks for all the replies :)

good call - you are widely supported in your decisions

HAPPY CAMPING and BOATING !!!

I don't know your domestic situation . . . .
my father made a 12' plywood boat back in the '50s