modifications on 1957 Arkansas Traveler 14 ft.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsnest4ever

Reaction score
To anyone who can help. I have a '57 Ark. Traveler 14 ft., that I want to modify a bit. It's a V bottom and I want to install a floor and some storeage for my tackle. I've looked at numerous videos on you tube, while entertaining they aren't that informative. I guess my main question to you would be, whether to use wood framing or metal, OSB sheets or plywood, styrofoam in the bottom under the floor. Basically I just want to know all of your ideas. I suppose I should tell you that I've had this boat for a few years, and money has been an issue for me. It still is to an extent but, I feel I can afford to put in a floor to walk on and maybe a raised deck and some carpet to deaden sound. Any help from you folks will be greatly appreciated, and possibly plagiarized.

Welcome aboard. Look in the project forum. There are a lot of 14' deep v projects. Don't use OSB. Use wood or metal framing it's your choice. You can check out my build in the link below my signature for the basics. Good luck with your project. If you have questions post pictures, it helps the members help you.

By metal framing do you mean Aluminum?
Use exterior grade plywood. Never use pressure treated wood.
For the flotation foam you want the pink or blue closed cell foam insulation panels.

I thank both of you for your input. Gillhunter, your boat is fantastic! I love all of the innovations. I will go back and remeasure and check out the prices on the exterior ply. I have to make room for a gas tank somewhere, so that it won't be sliding around in the bottom of the boat, am also considering a new plastic tank over the old metal one purely for the weight difference. I also have to create a spot up in the bow area for a battery for the trolling motor. Thanks for the pics of yours, now I have some more ideas. Hopefully, I can get some pics posted so y'all can see what I'm doing.

I forgot to mention that I have some galvanized metal frame work from and old metal building. Would that suffice for framing the floor and a small casting deck. I know it's heavier than aluminum, but I already have it and money is a bit of an issue, because I still have to possibly buy a new battery and a new gas tank.....if the motor will even crank.

Personally I wouldn't use different metals as they will react to each other usually in a bad way.

Birds Nest - the popular concensus here is not to go mixing
stuff with different chemical/molecular characteristics......

the exception to this "rule" would be to simply isolate one from the other.
Make some kind of gasket to go between the hull and the galv. metal.
In my world - I would use it - if I had it on hand and it fit my needs.
a good coat of primer and paint before install would be a plus.

good luck in your project !!

Latest posts