Motorguide Trolling Motor Shear Pins

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Try this, amigo.

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/2092600-prop-drive-pin/

Thanks man!! I've found tons of sources for the Minn Kota pins, but can't find any for the Motorguide ones. I'll measure the current pin in my motor tonight and I'm sure one of the Minn Kota ones will fit.

I want to get a spare prop and a few extra pins before a trip I'm taking next month. A new prop comes with one pin and I need to replace the current pin, so I'd like to find a few to keep as spares. Never really considered getting a spare prop and some extra pins until my buddy said something about it. I have just about every spare part for the jet in case of an emergency, but nothing for my TM. Would obviously be less of a pain loosing the TM compared to the big motor, but would certainly mess up a day of fishing.

Here is the current pin, I'm apparently a little rough on my TM.
20160920_184546_zpszlhhvnfz.jpg

Had a tough time getting the old prop off. A little coercion with a rubber mallet and it finally popped off. Found why it was hard to remove. There must have been 100 yards of line on the shaft :shock:
20160920_180346_zpsra7ypi5a.jpg

onthewater102 said:
you'll find shear pins at your local hardware store too in the parts drawers

Thanks. I'm thinking of getting the appropriate size stainless rod and cutting a few pins out of it. That's all a shear pin is, right? Just a piece of stainless round stock?

Ouch. That line can burn the brushes up on the motor. Spare prop is nice to have. A few years ago I was way back in some flooded timber and my TM prop got loose and came off in 7 ft of water. Took hours to get the boat out.

I would think it would be a soft aluminum, it's going to need to be weaker than the plastic of the propeller in order to break before the prop takes damage.

Try this site. I bought all my Motorguide Energy series parts off here including just the shear pin.

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Motorguide/parts.html

boostr said:
Try this site. I bought all my Motorguide Energy series parts off here including just the shear pin.

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Motorguide/parts.html

Thanks. But I cannot find my model or serial number anywhere. It's an older Motorguide Tracker Pro Series 41. Hoping I never need parts for it, they are going to be hard to find. But I measured the old pin last night and it's 1/8" x 1". Same size as the Minn Kota ones. I order a pack of 4 off Ebay for a few bucks.

One time I sheared the pin on my little 3 horse Evinrude and I didn't have a spare, I used my Leatherman to cut the shanks off 3 or 4 #2 plastic worm hooks and shoved them all in there. Got me back to the launch 5 miles away! I don't have that little motor anymore but I carry spare shear pins for my trolling motor for sure.

Latest posts