Gluvit prep question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvhish486

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had a quick question regarding Gluv-it. I already applied a small amount to the interior of my hull where I had some suspecting leaks but decided to just apply it over all the ribs and rivets (should have done this the first time). My question is do you have to remove ALL existing paint before applying it?

The first time I did it I was just a few spots and I sanded the best I could and power washed it but was unable to remove all the paint so I was just very generous with the amount I put on and it looks pretty sealed. Is it essential to remove all the paint to bare aluminum? Is there an easier way to do this than using a wire brush drill head?

Looking for any cheap but right options.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I just did my boat Also found best luck when I sanded it down too bare metal then applied it too all the seams and rivets I know it more work but better off too it right the first time

Holatim said:
I just did my boat Also found best luck when I sanded it down too bare metal then applied it too all the seams and rivets I know it more work but better off too it right the first time

What did you use? Did you strip it with airplane stripper and then hit the rivets with the sander? I went to HomeDepot and picked up some of those wire brush drill heads, would this work?

Yep put airplane striper on hvy and hit the seam and all the rivets with a wire brush on drill and sanded it some. I coatedThe whole bottom of my boat let it dry for a good 2 days and then did a leak test no leaks at all just make sure you hit the seams the heaviest good luck

NOTE MAKE SURE YOU USE A THIN NAPE ROLLER YOU GOING TOO ROLL IT IF YOU USE A HVY NAPE ROLLER IT SOAKS IT UP TOO MUCH OR YOU AND CUT PAINT BRUSH DOWN AND THE WILL WORK JUST TAKE YOU LONGER LOL MAKE SURE YOU IT THE SEAMS HVY

I will do that. Just worried because for one of the spots where I applied gluv-it I didn't prep too well. Just went over some of the rivets with a drill bit sand wheel, cleaned with acetone and applied it. Even tipped the boat to make sure it got in the seams (I hope).

Anywho, I mixed too much so I just kept going and applied it to the surrounding area (not prepped/ sanded) thinking "what the hell" can't let it go to waste.

Looks like it adhered well but I'm kicking myself for being so lazy and not preppigng. Should have stripped the entire hull and applied it all at once. Hopefully it's just as effective though. Don't care what it looks like since its going to be covered by the deck. Will probably just put another layer over it after sanding it.

Latest posts