OSB for decking and floor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC2133

Reaction score
Will OSB work for flooring and decking if sealed with spar urethane (3-4 coats)?

Here is the OSB I was looking at:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/7-16-CAT-PS2-10-OSB-Sheathing-Application-as-4-x-8/50382768

It will probably work, Urethane is not all that great though. Are you going to leave it bright or carpet it. I think I would also paint it with a good marine enamel on all sides especially the edges.

Chances are the glue holding it together will fail if it gets wet - hence it not being rated as an exterior material or flooring material.

OSB sheeting will sometimes fall apart when painting it. Put it anywhere near water and it just turns to soft mushy wood chips. Found this out the other day...I made a ramp to load my pit bike in teh trailer, out of a pair of 2x4's and some OSB between them. Had it in the shop already so I used it. Left it out in the rain, mind you, it was not a "rain", more of an intermittent sprinkle. Stuff just fell apart yesterday when I realized I had left it out and attempted to move it.

Latest posts