Rod Storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby John

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times on this forum, considering how hard it is to find decent rod storage in a jon boat but...I think I've settled on what I want to do. Take a look at this picture. I will need to drill some holes in my rear bench and insert some PVC sleeves into the bench. But the bench is filled with foam so I'm wonder who has the best idea for drilling a nice neat 1-1/4" hole all the way through the foam so I can insert the PVC.

Attachments

• fishing rod storage 1.jpg
    fishing rod storage 1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,378
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,376
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,374
Foam is foam ... 2-ways.

1st, start hole wlth suitable hole saw so that hole guides the hole for your spade bit or new PVC cutter.

Option 1 ) Spade bit on extension handle can work, but the holes can tend to walk in foam. And if you don't have one, the extension handles are $20 or so. So you can do this below, just by using the same PVC tubing you will be using!

Option 2) I took a PVC pipe and hand cut some TEETH on the end to make it look like a hole saw. 10-minutes work tops!

-Wrapped other end with duct tape until it just fit into another hole saw, then taped them together with duct tape - wonderful stuff, haha! Then hook up to cordless drill.

-Use new tool - insert into the hole already started - drill - pull back and clear chips, repeat - drill again and clear chips.

-Also used a long handled screwdriver to 'snap out' and remove cut sections.

-But if you're really going in far ... best bet is to keep it one long hole, but you will need to remove the tool to clear the chips (chips make the tool cut off-line ...) and then when at the depth you want ... wiggle, wiggle, wiggle it ... so hopefully she breaks off completely at the far end.

Tip - water can be used a cutting lubricant. I drilled 18" deep holes in a foam V-berth bunk one using the homemade PVC hole saw, but I used to be a machinist, so maybe I had some learned benefits on cutting tools ...

I had a similar plan Dale. I was gonna buy a hole saw and sacrifice it by cutting the "cutting end" off. Then welding it to a thin walled steel pipe of the same diameter. Then weld the arbor end of the bit to the opposite end of the steel pipe.

I tested my rods out last night and the task is just too daunting for me. Can't bring myself to cut on my new boat like that. I think I'm gonna use some vertical storage on my console. Wasn't crazy about having the rods blocking my view while driving but I guess I can make it work.

Heck I think that's what the larger center consoles do anyway so if they can do it I guess I can.

Here's the product I'm looking at now. Looks like with individual rings like these I can install them closer together than the typical spacing on the units with multiple rod holders on a single bracket. Individually I think I can get more rods in a tighter space.

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Lees-MC-70-Single-Fishing-Rod-Holder-Rack-Silver&i=93509&quan1=6

DaleH said:
Foam is foam ... 2-ways.

1st, start hole wlth suitable hole saw so that hole guides the hole for your spade bit or new PVC cutter.

Option 1 ) Spade bit on extension handle can work, but the holes can tend to walk in foam. And if you don't have one, the extension handles are $20 or so. So you can do this below, just by using the same PVC tubing you will be using!

Option 2) I took a PVC pipe and hand cut some TEETH on the end to make it look like a hole saw. 10-minutes work tops!

-Wrapped other end with duct tape until it just fit into another hole saw, then taped them together with duct tape - wonderful stuff, haha! Then hook up to cordless drill.

-Use new tool - insert into the hole already started - drill - pull back and clear chips, repeat - drill again and clear chips.

-Also used a long handled screwdriver to 'snap out' and remove cut sections.

-But if you're really going in far ... best bet is to keep it one long hole, but you will need to remove the tool to clear the chips (chips make the tool cut off-line ...) and then when at the depth you want ... wiggle, wiggle, wiggle it ... so hopefully she breaks off completely at the far end.

Tip - water can be used a cutting lubricant. I drilled 18" deep holes in a foam V-berth bunk one using the homemade PVC hole saw, but I used to be a machinist, so maybe I had some learned benefits on cutting tools ...

DaleH said:
I took a PVC pipe and hand cut some TEETH on the end to make it look like a hole saw. 10-minutes work tops!
Genius! been wanting this in my 1860 but hadn't come up w/ a good way to make it happen until now, thanks Dale!!!!

Baby John said:
I think I'm gonna use some vertical storage on my console. Wasn't crazy about having the rods blocking my view while driving but I guess I can make it work. Heck I think that's what the larger center consoles do anyway so if they can do it I guess I can.
FWIW I mounted one of the 3-rod 'locking' rod racks in place on the front of my side console. Yeah, the rods are right up ahead of me whilst running, but it doesn't bother me too much. For me, in congested marine waterways, the starboard side of the boat from 12 o'clock straight ahead and around clockwise to the 4 o'clock position - is the "danger side" of the vessel - where any boat in that area has the right of way. So at least my vision that way is not impeded.

I added vertical rod storage in the stern too, but without the locking feature, and they're also handy when moving around the boat. I will say the forward position - for me - is more protected from salt spray is, than the one mounted in the stern.

The locking feature only uses a padlock and is made to hold/lock spinning rods, but will hold any rod; it's just that the sliding locking bar (heavy SS) covers over the reel foot area where it sits in the real seat. But at least it protects my rods if/when trailering and I want to run into a store for the minute. And then for days when using the boat and I haven't thrown them into the locking tackle locker ... then I can at least lock them and take a walk down the beach and not worry someone is going to 'walk off' with one off my spinning rigs. That and my full length down the port-side of the boat locker (holds 7' rods, once modified with OVC foam-cutting tool ;) )are only secured by padlocks, but I've yet to see someone on the beach in shorts carrying a 3' set of bolt cutters ... :roll: .

Such rod holders are $50 on eBay if you need the locking feature:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AFI-67650-MARINE-WHITE-PLASTIC-MARINE-BOAT-GORILLA-LOCKING-FISHING-ROD-HOLDER-/141211334481

Attachments

• Gorilla Locking Vertical Rod Storage.jpg
    Gorilla Locking Vertical Rod Storage.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,269
I've had my eye on the lee mc rod holders for awhile now. I like how clean of a look and minimalist they are. Love to hear your thoughts on them if you go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had the available length on my gunnel that's what I'd be going with but I only have 41" between the back side of my seat boxes and the front side of the rear bench. And I have another 44" from there to the transom. Total of 85" which is barely enough room for a 6.5' rod.

buckmaster27012 said:
https://www.amazon.com/DU-BRO-Fishi..._QL65&qid=1473883635&ref_=mp_s_a_1_79&sr=8-79

have u looked at these. they come in 2 or 4 ft sections. or you can make up your setup when buying just holders. just drill couple holes and dont have to worry about floam.

Latest posts