Does anyone make a tunnel hull that runs the lenght of the b

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/gabeskillzz05/5BC3DEED-CA79-4F28-9F21-662003C799CF.jpg

Does any brand make a boat where the tunnel runs the entire length of the boat, making it more of a catamaran?

I think there are probably a lot of larger power cats around. For smaller boats, I recall seeing one brand on craigslist called Livingston that has what I think you are talking about, although it is a fiberglass boat. Maybe google images for Livingston. To me, seems like a lot of interior space taken up by the "tunnel".

LDUBS said:
I think there are probably a lot of larger power cats around. For smaller boats, I recall seeing one brand on craigslist called Livingston that has what I think you are talking about, although it is a fiberglass boat. Maybe google images for Livingston. To me, seems like a lot of interior space taken up by the "tunnel".

Thanks, I know the Livingston brand, I'm thinking a tunnel that maybe runs the length but is only a few inches deep. I figure a lightweight tin boat wouldn't need that much "lift" to keep the tunnel free of the surface water and gain a few extra MPH.

I have a couple of Livingstons and I like them so much for both stability and rough water I searched around for an aluminum version. I found something in NZ, I think it was https://www.alloycats.co.nz/kingfisher-minicat-range-launched/Kingfisher mini-cats.Tried my 40/30 Merc jet on my 14ft Livingston and didn't like the handling much. It is not designed for a jet. FYI the raised tunnel down the middle of a Livingston is great for standing on to flyfish. Two 200lb+ guys can stand and flycast comfortably in my 10 footer. My 14 footer can carry 1000lbs....https://www.33rdstrikegroup.com/index.html These guys also look very similar. What is your application and reason for a full length tunnel?

stinkfoot said:
I have a couple of Livingstons and I like them so much for both stability and rough water I searched around for an aluminum version. I found something in NZ, I think it was https://www.alloycats.co.nz/kingfisher-minicat-range-launched/Kingfisher mini-cats.Tried my 40/30 Merc jet on my 14ft Livingston and didn't like the handling much. It is not designed for a jet. FYI the raised tunnel down the middle of a Livingston is great for standing on to flyfish. Two 200lb+ guys can stand and flycast comfortably in my 10 footer. My 14 footer can carry 1000lbs....https://www.33rdstrikegroup.com/index.html These guys also look very similar. What is your application and reason for a full length tunnel?

Looking for a tinny so I can use it on a local river, I'd rather get a ding in alum. then fiberglass.

The link for those alloycats is great as is the 33 strike group. I only wish they supplied some performance numbers, always nice to see what a boat can do under conditions.

As far as me looking for a full tunnel, my thinking is as long as it's a planning hull less boat in the water means greater speed and or economy.

Crazy, you need to take a road trip over to Cape May
and join the US Coast Guard !!!
then, you would have unlimited access to all kinds of crazy boats (for free)
with the highest horsepower you can imagine.
Going 60+mph in a 40ft GoFast with a 50cal on the bow is the cat's meow !!!
Plus, go out in some the roughest surf conditions known to man. That's a real hoot.

Probably not a good idea to run it all the way back in small boat. It will get you more lift when your running but it will make you sink deeper when not planing or at rest as compared to a same sized full bottom boat.

This means the boat needs taller sides to maintain enough freeboard. Now you are adding weight and more above the waterline wind resistance. This may be why they don't make full tunnels or Cats in pocket sizes.

However, Im just surmising......I could be wrong. It has been known to happen a lot. Just ask my wife :LOL2:

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Probably not since it's a bad idea.
Read the post from stinkfoot post #4 in this thread, click on the links and tell me again how it's such a bad idea.

What's the difference if it's built from fiberglass or Alum.?

Are you planning on running a jet? My feeling with my 40hp jet was that it was sucking dirty water caused by the wake from both hulls mingling right where the intake was. I tried a jackplate but it was still sluggish. Went back to a 35hp prop.

stinkfoot said:
Are you planning on running a jet? My feeling with my 40hp jet was that it was sucking dirty water caused by the wake from both hulls mingling right where the intake was. I tried a jackplate but it was still sluggish. Went back to a 35hp prop.
No I'd be using a prop for sure.

Loss of displacement.. Increase in drag. Cavatation from trapped air. Bad idea.
So the two builders shared in the link are crazy as well as Livingston brand fiberglass boats? Maybe you should rethink, but thanks for the opinion.

Crazyboat said:
stinkfoot said:

Crazy....your not going to use that tunnel in the Hacky are ya?

BTW I just realized I didn't reply to your PM. Sorry Im getting forgetful in my old age.

Im down by the development. I wonder if I already know you.........

Crazyboat said:
So the two builders shared in the link are crazy as well as Livingston brand fiberglass boats? Maybe you should rethink, but thanks for the opinion.

Maybe you should google hydrodynamics and learn the difference between planing hulls and displacement hulls. Thinking is a side affect of not knowing....so nothing to rethink on my end. Good luck with turning your jon boat into a catamaran.

Here's a good site for beginners:
https://www.boat-ed.com/pennsylvania/studyGuide/Hull-Types-and-How-They-Operate/101039_101039011/

sonny.barile said:
Crazyboat said:
stinkfoot said:

Crazy....your not going to use that tunnel in the Hacky are ya?

BTW I just realized I didn't reply to your PM. Sorry Im getting forgetful in my old age.

Im down by the development. I wonder if I already know you.........
I'm thinking of something for the Hacky, are you against the idea? I just need something with a soft ride for my back. I don't think I know you yet but maybe one day. Do you fish/ride the Hack?

Crazyboat said:

Maybe you should google hydrodynamics and learn the difference between planing hulls and displacement hulls. Thinking is a side affect of not knowing....so nothing to rethink on my end. Good luck with turning your jon boat into a catamaran.

Here's a good site for beginners:
https://www.boat-ed.com/pennsylvania/studyGuide/Hull-Types-and-How-They-Operate/101039_101039011/

I am aware for the differences between displacement and planning hulls, Fact is with displacement hulls you can overcome the drag and plane out with enough HP, not all cats are displacement hulls, see World Cat for great examples, see Ocean racer cat's for other examples. If you took time to look at one of the two links mentioned above you'd see the boat does plane off. Sure you need enough surface to get the weight up out of the water, just like with a water skier, same difference here.

There was a guy that had what I think was a 14 ft. cat that was fishing the hack. I would cross paths with him on the water once in a while. I haven't seen him in a few years though. It was a propped motor and it looked like he had a soft ride planing. I would mostly see him in the vicinity of the route 3 bridges.

I have a 16 ft Duranautic aluminum side console and it is not a soft ride when the river gets rolling. If you have a bad back and your looking to run on our local waters, I think those 33rd Strike boats would do the trick.

Im bringing my boat back to the dealer tomorrow for some outboard trouble. When I get it back, your welcome to come out for a fishing day on the river with me.

Let me know if your interested....

Sonny

sonny.barile said:
There was a guy that had what I think was a 14 ft. cat that was fishing the hack. I would cross paths with him on the water once in a while. I haven't seen him in a few years though. It was a propped motor and it looked like he had a soft ride planing. I would mostly see him in the vicinity of the route 3 bridges.

I have a 16 ft Duranautic aluminum side console and it is not a soft ride when the river gets rolling. If you have a bad back and your looking to run on our local waters, I think those 33rd Strike boats would do the trick.

Im bringing my boat back to the dealer tomorrow for some outboard trouble. When I get it back, your welcome to come out for a fishing day on the river with me.

Let me know if your interested....

Sonny

Sonny, what days do you fish? And what does the river yield, not that it's for eating of course, just to wet a line and shoot the breeze. Later I'll shoot you my number via PM.

Latest posts