1968 14' RichLine Transom (Advice)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
Could some one with a boat similar to mine post some pics of their Transom so I can see what I need to do on mine? I'm pretty sure the one that came out of it is wrong (The inside):
IMG_20160825_172540_764_zpshixhvnnm.jpg

This whole back end had a piece of plywood on it from one end to the other and you can see how far down it was in the pic. It had side braces (Can see the 6 holes on the side showing) on it but they looked like they had been made and added in.

The back side:

IMG_20160825_172555_444_zpsfd6x5lvf.jpg

The motor, 25HP:

IMG_20160823_181028_607_zpsgcnnpq8p.jpg

Any suggestions?

Id remove the knee brace to get the new transom in. Then reinstall it.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I'd do it that same way too. I gave some solid rivets if you need some.

But I'd bet $$ that hull isn't rated for a 25hp motor and that's why those extra side braces were added.

Be sure to put nylon washers under the bolt heads and SS washers before locking together w/ some SS hardware. Use coated plywood, not pressure treated, in case you haven't read that here yet.

DaleH said:
But I'd bet $$ that hull isn't rated for a 25hp motor and that's why those extra side braces were added.

Be sure to put nylon washers under the bolt heads and SS washers before locking together w/ some SS hardware. Use coated plywood, not pressure treated, in case you haven't read that here yet.

I have not read that yet, thank you for the info.

The knee brace is mounted flush with the rear, there is no gap. Should I reinstall it ON the wood or back on the aluminum?

A lot of boats have the side braces tying the sides to the transom from the factory.
Since there is no gap at the knee brace and aluminum skin it could be someone replaced the transom with a taller one.
The original transom wood might have been smaller.
Is the knee brace riveted to the transom skin?

My guess is that the original transom went from side to side and was as thick as the gap from the gunnel to the rear aluminum skin. It was probably tied to the hull with some form of angle bracket through the existing six holes. And it ran from the top of the rear skin to the top of the knee bracket. This would probably add enough structure to support the 25hp outboard.

Good Luck =D>

Knee Brace, riveted the the transom and floor:
IMG_20161001_193910_411_zpsinpd0yev.jpg

IMG_20161001_194122_717_zpsvb8ubv3n.jpg

IMG_20161001_194103_973_zpsilk6azwf.jpg

IMG_20161001_194048_203_zpsnsa69xpp.jpg

The view from the top shows a small gap but that happened while I was removing the old transom...

You can make the new transom wood smaller or make it to fit around the knee brace.

Latest posts