painted deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2ojohn

Reaction score
I have a '95 TX17 that needs carpet, thinking about just ripping the carpet out and painting it with non-skid paint. Has anyone else done this? Pros and cons

I didn't have the carpeting, but painted the decks on my build with non-skid paint. I like it that way, but I do most of my fishing in spring and fall when the deck doesn't get that hot.

I tried it and it's very hard after the second coat. The only problem I can see is if it's penetrated by a screw it probably needs caulk of some kind. I used cheap foam brushes and was not able to get it very smooth at all.

I used Asper Grit with Parkers Duck Boat Paint. Has held up well and it's still nice and gripy three years later. I did the "broadcast method". Sprayed on the paint with an HVLP gun, sprinkled the Asper Grit over the wet paint and then applied a second coat of paint after the first dried.

I got the quart size and only used about half of it on my 1648.
https://www.softsandrubber.com/aspergrit.html

BigTerp said:
I used Asper Grit with Parkers Duck Boat Paint. Has held up well and it's still nice and gripy three years later. I did the "broadcast method". Sprayed on the paint with an HVLP gun, sprinkled the Asper Grit over the wet paint and then applied a second coat of paint after the first dried.

Actually that's similar to what I did, I didn't buy the actual non skid paint but added the grit to some of the paint I was using, stirred it up good, dumped some into a pan and then applied it with a roller, mixed again, put some in pan, etc. etc. until done. Trick is to keep mixing so the grit doesn't settle.

overboard said:
Actually that's similar to what I did, I didn't buy the actual non skid paint but added the grit to some of the paint I was using, stirred it up good, dumped some into a pan and then applied it with a roller, mixed again, put some in pan, etc. etc. until done. Trick is to keep mixing so the grit doesn't settle.

This also works well. I took the leftover Asper Grit I had and mixed it in a gallon of paint. We used it on the floor of my buddies trailer that we use for goose hunting. Had enough left over to do his steps coming off his back door to his deck. Stuff goes a long ways.

Latest posts