Why trailer balancing is critical

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting watching that, but am also wondering what the results would be if the axle/wheels were further back on the trailer like on most trailers.

wow

I made a trailer back in the early '70s for my 14' and had the C.O.B.
where you could lift the tongue with one finger . . . .
towed it back and forth from Florida to Virginia a couple of times with
a Fiat station wagon . . . . wow - - - never once thought of the whiplash/fishtail effect.

thanks for posting !!! This demonstration could very well save a car, boat or some lives.

Boat trailers usually have the axle set farther back due to the weight of the motor.
Utility trailers usually have the axle set closer to the center of the trailer. You have to be more aware of the tongue weight as you load a utility trailer.

Yeah, this definitely applies more to trailers other than boat trailers. My snowmobile trailer for example I have to be conscious of how I load it due to the axle placement. Sway is a real bad thing on snowy and icy roads.

Hard to tell in this picture but the axle is about 2 feet back from the center of the box:
i-FH9z3VW.jpg

I think the key points made by the video are that the amount of weight behind the axle vs. in front of the axle and how far that weight is behind the axle are critical factors when planning weight distribution for towing. I usually shoot for 200 lbs of tongue weight when I load my utility trailer. I don't have much say in the mater with my boat trailer but it tows great so I don't have to worry about it.

Moving the axle to the back does the same thing as redistributing the weight, the model was done that way on purpose for the purpose of demonstration. Always load a trailer heavy on the tongue.

Latest posts